Docetaxel & Ramucirumab

mam12198

I have NSCLC stage 4. Tumor was on spine but surgically removed.

What are the side effects of either one of these drugs? I have access to cold capping for my hair. Praying this regime works on my tumor. Radiation is out because of its location (left, over heart).

Thank you in advance.

Thanks for responding Tom. My first 4 treatments of carbo/alimta/keytruda caused the tumor to shrink a bit but then nothing so my Drs asked other Drs their opinion after genetic testing was done. They came up with that regime to start. Some are saying tumor on kidney, others say it’s a cyst. If it’s a tumor, has to be removed so I can qualify for clinical trials if this cocktail doesn’t work. Sorry I rambled.

• 2 months later...

Mam, how is your treatment with Docetaxel going? The same thing happened to my wife, she was started on Keytruda and showed promise as the tumor shrank. A week ago she had a 2nd scan it it showed the tumor had grown so she is being put on Docetaxel. I hope it's working out for you.

Treatment is going well, I had one yesterday and my vein blew but oh well, they just used my other arm. It's fine today. The Docetaxel is rough, it is a hair killer unless your wife can cold cap. Look that up, there is a website to help with cost I believe, thehttp://www.rapunzelproject.org/  otherwise I believe she will lose her hair. Side effects are lasting me a week and a half. Not bad, just really fatigue, dizzy, headache, no taste buds, yeast infection, bowel issues. I had two days of side effects when I was on carboplatin/alimta/keytruda and then felt great except for fatigue but it shrunk my tumor a bit on the first treatment and then stopped working. I had a melt down thinking this was it not knowing at the time there are many treatments and that stage 4 isn't a death sentence anymore. Docetaxel and Cyramza work great. I get the Cyramza first which is a target therapy, not a chemo (vein blew with this) and then I get Docetaxel. I had a PET scan last Friday and it showed these medications are doing what they are supposed to be doing, it killed my 4 cancerous lymph nodes and also the 5% left on my spinal cord from a avocado size tumor removed to prevent me from being paralyzed so now it moves to the primary lung tumor and works on that. The active level was at a 14 on the lung tumor and now it's at 12, has to get to 0 which I'm praying by my CT scan they want to do after 4 more treatments shows pretty close to that. I always go in expecting the worse but praying for the best. I think she will do good on this med, but it can be rough and the hair. If she's ok with losing her hair then great but if she isn't, ask her center if they provide cold capping, mine provided Dignicap which is a machine and all we do is soak the top of my hard, put the caps on and turn it on. First half hour is very painful but then your head is numb, -32 degrees below zero it brings your scalp to freeze your follicles, BUT you HAVE to follow the strict instructions afterwards. Any other questions please don't hesitate to ask. I know I went on and on, sorry.

Thanks for the quick response, I saw it was an older post. I appreciate the detail in which you went. We were moving along great with the Keytuda till this popped up. The side effects for the Keytruda were the same as yours. I hope this new treatment works as well for my wife. Thank you again for your response. Robert.

Thanks Mam, I appreciate the offer and will probably reach out for advice. Right now the center is checking for insurance approval. If I may ask is it more or less expensive than the Keytruda?

Sadly my insurance doesn’t say the name. One is $23,000 and the other is $12,000. Guessing Docetaxel is the $23,000.

• 5 months later...

Hello. My Dad has just started this treatment and I was wondering how it was going for you? He seems to have more challenging side effects compared to the Keytruda-carboplatin - alimta treatment he was on. He was only on that for 3 months. 

He is mentioning loss of appetite, mouth sores and just overall weakness. How do you manage these side effects if you have them? 

I had 7 treatments and my body couldn’t do anymore.

i was on steroids for almost a week starting the day of treatment. I guess it kills all cancer that is in your body that the primary tumor kicked out first, then it goes after the primary. I got up to it wiped out the cancer I had besides the primary. It is a brutal chemo, Docetaxel that is. I would ask about steroids for the first week. It was working for me but I couldn’t handle it at #7. 
Best of luck to him.

Morning,  yes I’m on Gemzar and keytruda but right now I’m on a hold because an old lymph node decided to swell up and press on my sciatica which is making my leg numb and painful. I have to get radiation this week to reduce it or get rid of it.

Sadly I only had one treatment because the lymph node started acting up and since it’s affecting my walking, sleeping, life I don’t start up again until 11/3. 
How are you doing?

Gemzar was the chemo suggested to me. I have a few weeks before a new treatment plan is decided. Keep us informed how the side effects are 

Good luck with your leg pain

So far it’s been a little over a week from my Dads first round of doctaxel with ramucimrimab. Hes been feeling weak, has some mouth sores, stomach issues... Yesterday he seemed a little better than previous days. I am hoping the treatment is manageable and he won’t be in too much pain/discomfort. 

Archived