Question

TMC

My husband starts chemo on Monday March 30th - Cisplatin + Etoposide first day, then just Etoposide next 4 days, then Cisplatin + Etoposide the following monday.  At first they told us I needed to bring him on Monday and stay with him during since this is going to be his first round and it is going to last about 6-7 hours.  And he was glad because he's very very nervous about chemo and wanted me there for support.  But last night they called and said due to the coronavirus he has to go alone.  He is so disappointed and even more nervous now.

I was just wondering, does anyone here go do all their chemo alone?  I just hate that he has to go through this all alone :(

T

TMC,

I’ve gone though chemo alone. My wife attended the first serval then she left after the IV stick and went shopping.
My chemo was in a small clinic supporting only 10 chairs. There were opportunities to chat with the other folks and watch movies or TV.  I think attending the first infusion is important because the chemo nurse goes over all the possible side effects and what to do about them. 

Stay the course. 

Tom

I went through most of my chemo alone. (This was for a prior non-lung cancer). My wife went along for the first infusion to get info and to see how I would do. I went to the rest of them by myself and I was fine. 

Bridget O

My wife's 1st day of chemo (cisplatin + etoposide) is 6+ hrs long so I go home since I live 20 min away. I have stayed on the 2nd and 3rd day because it's just over 1 hr.

Her 4th cycle in April will be different ... I'm not allowed in the building at all due to covid-19.

I always make sure they have my phone number, especially the nurse hanging the IVs and not just the desk folks. I make sure my wife takes a nausea pill at least 30+ minutes before. My wife always had very high blood pressure, previously thought to be anxiety induced, so I got her time moved earlier in the day to coincide with her mid-morning BP pills. Due to covid-19 they are no longer giving food and coffee. They are allowing bottle drinks from the machine. I make sure she has snacks in her purse. My wife didnt have pain issues with her port like some have; you might have pain meds available or given prior to chemo if needed.

Steve

Archived