Pneumonectomy June 1st

TMC

Good afternoon,

Well my husband had his right lung removed on Monday and surgery went very well.  So far no complications at all except for a slight increase in heart rhythm on Wednesday.  They gave him some medications and it's much better now.  He was in excruciating pain the first day or two but it's much better now.  They are keeping him in the hospital until Sunday (they just want to make sure he has no more problem with his heart).  The surgeon said that all the margins and lymph nodes are clear of cancer.  So that was good to hear. Obviously he has breathlessness but the doc tells him to not worry, completely normal and over time that will improve.  It was attached to the SCV but they were able to cut that away and reattach and again, the margins were neg. for cancer.  

Anyway, things seem to be looking up for now!  We hope he continues on with no setbacks.

Thanks for listening.

T

• 2 weeks later...

Hi TMC - 

How is your husband doing? Still being discharged tomorrow? I only lost half a lung but the breathless thing was tough. I walked every day and every day I was able to walk a little further. I also used that danged spirometer every day. Cursed it, too. My recovery was pretty smooth. I had some weird spasms that took my breath away but those ended about 3 months post-surgery. 

I'm so happy that all of his margins were clear. That's just the best news!

Hi Susan,

Well he's been home 1 week today...so two weeks since surgery.  He's being stubborn about the walking and breathing exercises.  They have him on a beta blocker for 2 more weeks and it makes him so sick he doesn't want to do anything but sleep.  I hope things start moving along after he's finished with that.  I know how important it is for him to walk, but he just says he's too weak and breathless to do it.  I can only hope things will get better soon.  His actual surgery went great though.   He was a very active man before all of this, I am praying he finds the willpower to get up and do the walking and spirometer like he's supposed to. It's only been 2 weeks so hopefully next week will be better. :)  Thank you for asking.

t

TMC,

I've been following this thread and am glad to hear that your husband is improving and his recovery seems to be on track.  In the beginning it can be hard, but if you can encourage him to just sit up a bit, then move a bit, then walk a bit, perhaps sit in the sun and fresh air a bit.  Whatever can motivate him to push through the discomfort.  Once he becomes even mildly active again he'll feel better, heal faster and gain confidence.  Keep prodding him and good luck.

Lou

Lou,

Thank you so much for the words of encouragement.  I really needed to hear that things will improve!  It's just so hard seeing him so fatigued.  And he's having to take Metoprolol for his heart rhythm and that's making him feel sick along with dropping his blood pressure extremely low.  So we have an appt Monday with a Cardiologist to see if he needs to continue to take something and if so if there are any other drugs they can try that won't make him feel so bad.   It's 3 weeks today since his surgery and he is moving a bit more today.  I'm praying this will be an even better week!  Thank you again for your words of encouragement.

T

TMC,

Keep us updated and remember any movement is good.  Just walking around the room and then resting as needed...

Lou

Archived