Aspirin-may-exacerbate-cancer-in-older-adults.

jack14

Jack,

Interesting. I try and avoid reading news outlet reports of studies rather than the published study itself. Here is a quote from the Medical News Today article you cite that makes my point:

Overall, 981 participants who were taking aspirin and 952 who were taking placebo developed cancer. This difference between the two groups was not statistically significant. 

However, daily aspirin had associations with a 19% higher risk of metastatic cancer and a 22% higher risk of receiving a diagnosis of advanced cancer compared with a placebo.

Which of these two contrasting conditions is right. What does "had associations with a 19% higher risk of metastatic cancer and a 22% higher risk of receiving a diagnosis of advanced cancer" mean when the study results were not statistically significant?

Stay the course.

Tom

Conclusions

"In older adults, aspirin treatment had an adverse effect on later stages of cancer evolution. These findings suggest that in older persons, aspirin may accelerate the progression of cancer and thus, suggest caution with its use in this age group."

Tom, I think they're saying the difference in the number of people who developed cancer was not statistically significant, but that the difference in outcomes of those who do, was.

This doesn't tell you, though, whether they controlled for other factors--i.e., was there something else in common among those who took aspirin that might account for the increased mortality (e.g., the conditions that caused them to be taking the aspirin, or other medications they might be taking along with the aspirin).

Here's a bit more information about Aspirins benefits and known risks for those who might want to know. I consider the Mayo Clinic as a reptuable source. There are many other revered sources like the American Heart Asociation, Journal of the American Medical Association, New England Journal of Medicine, etc. that agree with this. It is a standard of care therapy.

Something that stood out to me that made me decide to continue with my Aspirin until I consult with my Onc tomorrow was this paragraph:  "If you have been taking daily aspirin therapy and want to stop, it's important to talk to your doctor before making any changes. Suddenly stopping daily aspirin therapy could have a rebound effect that may trigger a blood clot."-mayo

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/heart-disease/in-depth/daily-aspirin-therapy/art-20046797

Important note, Jack.  And I don’t have my computer with me to read that original article again, but during my first look I remember thinking their conclusion seemed a bit of a stretch.  I’ll go through it again when I have a chance to see what factors were considered.  
susan

Well, we don’t know anything about the participants in this study. They’re older, so could have had a lot of previous exposures, such as smoke, radon, alcohol, etc., that might predispose them to later cancers.  No info on how they were vetted prior to inclusion.  Yes, more ended up with advanced cancers, but can that really be Shown to be CAUSED by the aspirin?  Betting there will be more research needed on that before it’s accepted as fact.  JMO

My husband is 83 and has been taking low dose aspirin for 40 years. That along with his other blood-thinning supplements are likely what has kept him going all these years with a dreadful family history and a huge calcium burden in his coronary arteries, so I’m sure he’ll be sticking with it.   He still does around 300 reps with light weights every day and walks 9 holes of golf every day that it’s not raining.  The only thing holding him back is arthritis - sadly, no one can fix that ☹️

Archived