SCLC/Brother

Nikki

Hello my brother has Small Cell Lung Cancer Extensive Stage 4. He has had Chemo and Radiation and is now on Hospice. Recently his head and neck as well as his arms started swelling twice their normal size. His eyes looks like they are gonna come out of their sockets. I researched and felt he had Superior Vena Cava Syndrome and as of yesterday his nurse said they feel that as well. He is now taking liquid Morphine in droplet form. He is afraid to get it thru an IV for fear of not waking up. Has anyone on here had a family member experience this and also I would like to know how much longer he may have at this point from some on here watching a family member have the same thing. Thanks 

Hi Nikki and welcome to our blog. Sorry to hear about your brother. The only person who can  answer both your question is the hospice doctor. Morphine dose  given to patients  differs from one  to the other. I wish you the best.

Nikki,

So very sorry to learn about your brother. I know of no one who experienced your brother's symptoms in hospice care or in other medical treatment locations. And of course, I have no idea how long your hospice vigil might take. That is a question best directed to hospice staff.

I do know the hospice routine consists of gradually increasing morphine doses to ensure your bother feels no pain or discomfort. I wouldn't think there would be a difference from oral or IV dose in terms of inducing sleep. That is the purpose of morphine therapy. 

I will pray for peace for your brother and your family.

Stay the course.

Tom

Hi Nikki,

I have stage IV NSCLC and Superior Vena Cava Syndrome.  I swelled terribly in my face and neck.  That is how I found I had cancer.  I went in and the chest X-ray showed a mass.  They hospitalized me.  The swelling was due to the Superior Vena Cava being occluded and the blood had nowhere to go.  It resolved on its own and the blood rerouted through the veins in my chest.  I am doing fine 2 years later.  The vein is still blocked and the blood flow in my chest is still stable.  How long has he been swollen?  If they could get the blood rerouted I’m sure he would feel so much better. I don’t have any experience with small cell so I can’t answer to that.  

I pray for the best for you and your brother,

Babs

17 hours ago, Babs said:

Hi Nikki,

I have stage IV NSCLC and Superior Vena Cava Syndrome.  I swelled terribly in my face and neck.  That is how I found I had cancer.  I went in and the chest X-ray showed a mass.  They hospitalized me.  The swelling was due to the Superior Vena Cava being occluded and the blood had nowhere to go.  It resolved on its own and the blood rerouted through the veins in my chest.  I am doing fine 2 years later.  The vein is still blocked and the blood flow in my chest is still stable.  How long has he been swollen?  If they could get the blood rerouted I’m sure he would feel so much better. I don’t have any experience with small cell so I can’t answer to that.  

I pray for the best for you and your brother,

Babs

I am so glad to hear that you have been able to get help. They tell us there is nothing they can do. Been told this is part of the process. Small Cell is very aggressive and his brain at this point is completely consumed. His arm has also been broke as well from the cancer. He is showing many symptoms with Small Cell when the end is somewhat near but he is fighting with every ounce in his body! I do know that it can get a lot worse and I just pray the Lord takes him before this happens. He has a twin brother and I am the baby sister and this is so so hard for my brother and myself. The three of us are very close and have been our entire life..I wish you well and pray the Lord continues to heal you!!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived