iressa

GayleMarie

My mother who is 76 was diagnosed with squamous cell nsclc 10/03. She has received 4 rounds of chemo Taxo/Carbo with no results. Her oncologist suggested taxotere which she started immediately. The bad reactions (mouth sores/Thrush) caused her to discontinue treatment after just one. She is now starting the drug Iressa and has taken two pills. I have heard that the Iressa is working if you have a really bad rash. Does this seem to be the case? I am so hopeful this works for her. So far she feels good (anything is good compared to what she has been through) Anyone know what stage she may be in? Nobody wants to ask, although she probably talks to her onc. about it? She has a 3 cm lesion with another one starting. It is in her lymph nodes into her other lung. That is all I know I know my mother and I doubt she would tell us if it is has mets. anywhere. Do they always check even if the patient says no? I am scared for her...

Gayle

Peg & Rochelle.

Thanks for the response. There is so much information out there and so much MIS-information I have found! It seems to me the more research I do the better I feel. I want to know all I can to help my wonderful mom in any way I can. We have to be strong for our loved ones! I wish you both the best and will for sure post any new happenings with my mom. I have read most of your posts... Thinking of you in Kansas.

Gayle

• 2 weeks later...

I had the rash pretty severely when I started Iressa last fall...Coincidentally, this is when I experienced the greatest amount of shrinkage in my tumors, but my doctor tells me that there is really no correlation. I've used Aveno creams heavily for relief, the rash has since subsided, and my tumors have been stable since November. Current side effects are occasional, short bursts of diarrhea, frizzy hair, weird breakage and scaling of my fingernails and toenails.

Hope this helps.

Peggy

Thanks for your help. Mom still does not have a rash. Really the only problem she has now is swelling in her legs and feet. This was really bad today when I went to see her. The doctor increased her lasix (sp) and therefore her potassium when she talked to them on the phone. This hasnt helped yet. She is also on high blood pressure medicine but never had a problem with swelling. I was wondering if anyone has had problems with their feet and legs swelling due to taking Iressa? Also, is Tarceva maybe a next chance if this Iressa doesnt work? Anyone know?

Thanks!!!

Gayle

10/03: 76 yr. Mom diagnosed squamous cell nsclc

11/04-1/04: 4 rounds of Taxol/Carbo

1/30/04: CT scan no change in growth/new spot 

2/4/04: Taxotere

2/8/04: Bad reaction, bedridden with Thrush/Diarrhea

2/26/04: Starts 15 days of Iressa

Hi,

I hope the Iressa works.I think it is very important that you or some other designated advocate visit the onc with her to find out about mets and staging.You need to be armed with all the info you can get to fight this battle.TBone