Just general news

David A

Hi Friends, I went to get chemo yesterday(gemzar), and the oncologist and I decided to stop treatment with it because of all the side effects I've been having, this last week has been one of the most diffucult, just generally run down, then my calves, ankles and feet have swelled up huge, have actually put on like 10 lbs in weight in the last week and a half, I'm hoping it is all fluids. So as soon as my pharmacy gets Iressa in I start that, which is supposed to be monday 3/01, I'm hoping I have as good of results as some of the others on the board have had. If anyone has any tips for me on iressa please share them with me.

praying for us all. David A

David,

I am not on Iressa now, but I would say do not panic if you develop a rash shortly after starting it...mine did not itch and subsided after the first three weeks. My doctor told me that only about 10% of the patients develop extreme rash problems and that the rash usually peaks at about 3-4 weeks. I did have diarrhea, but my prescription for Lomotil kept that in reasonable check.

I pray that Iressa proves to be a blessing of healing for you. When it works, it works! I'll be watching for positive results!

Peace,

Margaret

David,

Earl's onc took him off his chemo in early Jan due to the overwhelming side effects. He started on Iressa right away.

One word - Imodium. The dr. told Earl to take 2 every morning - just because. The diarhea has been a pain in the - um - neck but it really is manageable. The only problem Earl has, that with his right leg in a cast, speedy trips to the BR are next to impossible. Very little rash, tip of nose and index finger (weird), but they disappeared quickly.

Here's hoping you are on the Iressa Does Good list.

Ginny

Hi David,

I am obviously a huge believer in Iressa (having been on it since 10/02)! For me, the most helpful tip was to take it at 4:00 in the afternoon. It kept the main side affects to the hours when I would be likely to be home or sleeping. The worst of my problems was the ITCH so I would take benedryl at bedtime. It wouldn't matter as much if I got tired that way.

Quality of life wise Iressa has been great - and it has kept me pretty stable for almost a year and a half. I will pray for great results for you. I hope you are one of those patients who acheives the major shrinkage!! :)

I thought U of M stocked Iressa all the time? Good luck

Lisa

Hey Buddy!!

Sounds like a real good move, be prayin the Iressa does it's magic with you. You certainly need a break.

Gog Bless and hang in there, it's gettin better from now on !!! :)

Bobmc- NSCLC- stageIIB- left pneumonectomy- 5/2/01

MRI's taken 12/18/03 - 2 brain mets found- named em Frick &aFrack

PET taken 1/5 - hot spot in mediastinum May be cancer??

"Absolutely insist on enjoying life today!"