Fluid Around My Lung

Hello,

I have been feeling very out of breath lately and have been coughing more than usual. I went to the doctor and had a CT that shows a lot of fluid around my cancerous lung. I will be having the fluid removed as soon as they can schedule me.

Is there anyone who has had this procedure who could let me know what to expect? Does it come back?

I have gone through radiation and chemo and I have been on Tagrisso  for 2 weeks.

Thank you!

I haven't had the procedure but Tagrisso should help after the fluid has been drained. Plenty of people report that Tagrisso dried up their fluid completely. Two weeks is a short time, so give it time to work. For me, chemo and radiation resolved the fluid in my left lung. Best of luck with the procedure. 

Karen,

Welcome here.

If your question about fluid removal involves draining a pleural effusion, then yes I’ve experienced it. I had a local anesthetic and a long needle was used to withdraw the fluid from the pleural space. My discomfort breathing was immediately relieved. I admit, I was concerned when I saw the rather large needle, but I didn’t feel a thing. Does the fluid come back? Sometimes. The fluid results because the lungs are experiencing irritation. Judy reports her Tagrisso stopped the fluid and mine never returned when I started chemo. I do hope you have but one drain session and results improve with Tagrisso.

Stay the course. 

Tom

Hi sorry you've found yourself on here. I had a tonsillar cancer hpv (p16) positive with several affected lymph nodes. I had 35 radiotherapy and 2 chemo sessions.  My doctor had recommended it but I think you can sign up for free. I am now a few months post radiotherapy and living my life.

Edited by Tom Galli
Removed commercial app advertisement

• 2 months later...

In my case, pleural fluid started to accumulate about a year after completion of chemo and radiation and 16 months from when treatment with Imfinzi was initiated.  I underwent a thoracentesis several months ago, but the fluid accumulation promptly returned.  Testing of the fluid has not revealed malignant cells--although, to be sure, a malignant source cannot be completely ruled out.  The doctors seem to believe the fluid results from inflammation perhaps related to my continued (more than 18 months, now) treatment with Infinzi or from heart failure.  The fluid builds rapidly and requires daily draining via an indwelling chest tube.  There is very little discomfort with this and it relieves breathing problems that would otherwise be present; but--after nearly 4 months--it gets to be a bit of a hassle.  My guess is that Imfinzi is the culprit; but I don't want to stop it because it seems to help with the cancer. 

Czechag,

Many of us get an internal drain installed to deal with pleural fluid. Thankfully, I didn't need to have one but did experience several accumulations and drainage.

Inflammation of the pleural space is indeed the cause but what causes the inflammation in my case was an open question. Your guess of Imfinzi is likely a good one.

Welcome here. I do hope Imfinzi continues to control your lung cancer.

Stay the course.

Tom

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Tom, do you know of any treatments or trials to keep pleural effusions from coming back.  I went for four months without any pleural effusions then I ended up with one in both lungs. Now two weeks later I have fluid in again in the one lung. Due to cancer cells I believe. Using immunotherapy for 4 months so far. No biomarkers. 

Saskgirl,

I don't know of treatments or trials to control or stop pleural effusions. Their cause is irritation between the exterior of the lung and the interior tissue of the pleural space. This irritation is driven by cancer's presence and the only way I know to stop effusions is to treat and eliminate tumors and metastatic activity.

Immunotherapy can be effective and you've only been on this treatment for 4 months. I hope it takes hold and eliminates your lung cancer.

Stay the course.

Tom

• 1 year later...

My husband has stage IV lung cancer he had a tumor and they performed a wedge surgery a year and a half ago a year later a petscan revealed several lymph nodes that were confirmed to be cancerous.  He underwent radiation treatment but fluid built up in his chest cavity.  They stopped the radiation and started chemo and immunotherapy.  He had to have the fluid drained twice in 2 weeks with a liter of fluid each time.  It was confirmed the fluid was cancerous but not really sure where it came from???  The chemo infusion seemed to improve the fluid build up but after 4 treatments they stopped the carboplaxin and 6 weeks later the fluid came back even worse.  They removed 2 1/2 liters and 3 days later we were in the ER because he couldn’t breathe. They recommended having the plurex catheter be put in and they sent bloodwork off to do a liquid biopsy to see if he is a candidate for Tagrisso.  Will have the results in about a week.  They have stopped any further chemo and immunotherapy treatments for now until they get the results back.  

Has anyone had the fluid go away with Tagrisso ? Just trying to figure out where we go from here???