INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Hello , 

My name is Shahid Younis Dosondi . I have been diagnosed with adenocarcinoma. Accordingly  to the pet scan the stage is T4,N3,MIC . I am waiting for my biomarker test results to come as surgery is not possible . Anyone in this stage i would request to let me know further what to do and how to deal with this disease. 

Thank you

WhatsApp Image 2021-12-14 at 4.29.58 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-12-14 at 4.29.52 PM.jpeg

Shahid,

Welcome here. I'm an 18 year survivor of Stage 4 (T4) lung cancer. In my case, my type of lung cancer was squamous cell. Yours is adenocarcinoma and that type, has new therapies that may control or eliminate even advanced staged lung cancer.

First, some background.  Here is what T4 N3 M1c means. And, here is information on a PET scan, particularly SUV uptake. I also note you are awaiting biomarker test results. I'm very happy to learn you've had this type of test because results may point to very effective Targeted Therapy and or Immunotherapy treatments.  (I'm linking resources from our Lung Cancer 101 body of knowledge for your information). So what do you do now and how do you deal with this disease? These are good, terribly perceptive questions.

First, you'll need to be patient to await biomarker testing. Results will dictate the type of systemic therapy you might receive. This therapy could consist of conventional chemotherapy alone, targeted treatment alone, or immunotherapy alone or combinations of the aforemetioned. That is the systemic treatment. But there may also be focused-treatment radiation available in the form of external beam radiation therapy or EBRT. There are many technologies of EBRT used today and all can be effective. Here is more information on medical radiation used to treat lung cancer. Radiation can be very effective. It is what saved my life when my tumors became resistant to chemotherapy. 

How do you deal with this disease? Here is my insight. Moreover, you are now connected to a community of survivors, many of whom have had superb results with targeted therapy, immunotherapy and radiation. You'll likely have questions as you move into treatment and this is the place for answers. None of us are physicians but we all have a high-level of understanding about this disease and side-effects because of our collective experience.

Stay the course.

Tom

Hi Shahid,

It's wonderful that you have connected to these forums. Any questions that you have, we can try to answer or at least point you in the right direction.

I have Non Small Cell Lung Cancer, Stage IV, that I have been living with for 4 years.

After you get your biomarker results, you may find you qualify for a targeted treatment. Why did they say you were not a candidate for surgery?

Best,

Ro

Shahid, I was diagnosed 2 years ago with Stage 3b adenocarcinoma and wasn't a candidate for surgery. I had chemo and radiation and now take a targeted therapy for my particular driver mutation. I'm glad you're getting biomarker testing. It does take time but the wait is usually worth it. Once those results come in, your doctors should create a treatment plan for you. 

Hello everyone 

Thank you so much to guide and let me understand , i  am going through all mentioned information provided about the disease to help and be a survivor. Will update you about my biomarker test.

The GO2 Foundation for Lung Cancer has, what was for me, a useful patient education handbook called Navigating Lung Cancer 360 Degrees of Hope: https://go2foundation.org/wp-content/uploads/GO2_Foundation_Patient_Education_Handbook_5th_Edition.pdf

All the best as you start on this journey.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome and my apologies.  Your disease progression is pretty close to mine, with both lymph and mediastinal invasions'.

KEYTRUDA and chemo shrunk my tumors more than 70% in less than 4 months --  - You can read my intro for the gory details (PamHB1), but what I really want to convey is that there are "miracle drugs out there now!...  Find the oncologist and definitely apply for financial assistance with Merck (they accept most people),,, and get started.  I'm 7 months into treatment, post an aborted surgery and looking at a third round of poison,,, I'm alive!  and every day is a gift and i find something to love about it...  

Let us knw what you do,, there IS treatment and BE AGGRESSIVE!  you deserve it!

Thank you so much @PamHB1. I have been given this treatment plan by my ocnologist from skmch . 
1:atezolizumab 1200mg

2:bevacizumab 1485mg

3:carboplatin 785mg

4:paclitaxel 438 mg

immunotherapy with chemotherapy suggested for 4 cycle to be given .as my bio marker is Braf-v600e

Shahid,

It's good to have a treatment plan.  Please stay connected to keep us updated and also ask any questions you may have.  One thing you might want to consider is adding a palliative care physician to your medical team.  At least discuss it with your lead doctor.  In the event you have side effects or other troublesome issues palliative care can be a real help in keeping your comfortable  through your treatment.  Best of luck and we'll be watching and rooting for you.

Lou

I'm echoing Lou's recommendation for a palliative care doctor at the beginning of treatment. The two specialties will work together to minimize any side effects from treatment. 

Archived