nutrition?

Guest kate218

Guest kate218

Hi,

do any of you know of any powdered drinks or nutritional drinks that help with the nurtrients? My Dad is having a hard time eating and we were thinking that there might be some drink or powder that can build up his calories and vitamins? Any idea or suggestions? Is there a nutritionist that deals with cancer people? P.S. Newsday has been showcasing a drug that the results will be out next month. It is supposed to stop the growth of lung cancer and they have had some success with it. It is made on Long Island. I'll personally drive out to the end of the Islands and buy barrels of it works. Good news for those not yet dx.

Please keep praying.

Thank you!

Kate

Kate,,

Sorry to hear your father is having a hard time with eating.

I think there are other posts that name specific drinks, such as Ensure etc. I am certain that someone will lead you to the right place.

Do you know the name of the drug that you read about??

Thanks

Elaine

Kate,

There is a powdered mix called weight gain 2200 made from whey protien...so it should be gentle on the kidneys...available at GNC. Also, Boost or Ensure can help. I sometimes would add a little vanilla icecream to make it more like a shake. I think I heard that Carnation instant breakfast can do the same thing and is less expensive than Ensure. My Dad's chemo nurses had given him a bunch of Boost samples, so you might check with them as well.

Ask your Dad's oncologist about the nutritionist ,some larger offices have one on staff.

All the best,

Lynn

Kate,

Lynn got in before I could. Weight Gainer 2200 worked VERY well for me. I'd lost 40 pounds just before my dx. Weight Gainer 2200 stoped the weight loss cold and I actually gained a few pounds back. Later on my hospice nurse took a look at the list of ingrediants and what kind and amounts of various vitamins and minerals it provided and gave it her ok.

It comes in various flavors and you can mix it up in different ways to suite your taste. I make up "power shakes" with it. Weight Gainer, milk, and my favorite ice cream.

Hope this helps.

Dean

Hi,

I have also been told by nurses that Carnation Instant Breakfast is a good choice that tastes good, and is very affordable. I have read about Prosure, by the makers of Ensure...helps with weight gain. Ask your pharmacy to order it for you if they don't carry it. The Ensure website has an offer to deliver a case without delivery charge...but I'd make sure you try it before buying a case! I'm ordering for my mom.

Good Luck!

Guest kate218

Hi,

thanks for the powder ideas. I found one at the Vitamin store that he seemed to be able to handle. He has developed the hiccups the past 2 days and so it was hard to eat. They gave him a drug for that too!

The new drug is Tarceva. If you go to www.newsday.com, you might be able to find today's article on it. I don't know if it is too late for my Dad to use it, but it might be great for others. The stats come out in April. Let's keep our fingers crossed!

Please keep praying for my Dad.

Thanks again for your info on the powder.

Kate

I was given ScandiaShake, also a powdered mix, by the nurse at NIH radiation oncology. It packs more calories than ensure, like twice as many, and if you throw in ice cream and 12 oz milk instead of 8 the calories are almost 1000. I have more than a dozen packages left of the mix. I saw it sold at Giant once. If anyone really wants it it comes in choc, van, strawberry, please pm me.

MaryAnn