Jump to content

Update on my mom


Recommended Posts

When last I updated you my mom was undergoing treatments with cisplatinum and cpt-ll for recurrent sclc. A CT this month showed the tumors were spreading, and the onc ordered l/2 dosage of cisplatinum and cpt-ll (since my mom usually has severe side effects such as nausea/diarrhea/migraines). She had the l/2 dosage Tuesday, March 9th. My mom was fine until Friday, when she experienced severe nausea and vomiting. We took her to the hospital on Sunday where she had a seizure, and was placed on a vent to protect her breathing. She finally had the vent removed Thursday, and finally regained consciousness after being unconscious the entire time. She came home on Friday night, and is doing well, just very, very weak. A ct showed she did not have brain mets and the seizure was caused by the chemo. (Which we don't understand since there is supposed to be a blood/brain barrier?) The dr wants to give her taxol or maybe gemzar as soon as she if feeling better. It is her decision, but I am worried that she will have another horrible reaction to that chemo. They said the seizure she had is very rare. It was a horrible week, but we are glad she is doing better now.


Mom dx with sclc limited stage 0l/02

5 months chemo (carboplatin & etoposide), radiation, no pci

06/03 Recurrance found with follow up c/t, chemo (carboplatin & etoposide) began then stopped due to severe reaction

07/03 pet scan concurred ca in sternum

09/03 ct shows ca spread

09/03 Three 28-day cycles of cisplatinum & cpt-ll

12/03 some tumors responding, began 2 more 28 day cycles cisplatinum & cpt-ll

02/04 No growth, no reduction of tumors. Onc decided on a 4 week rest period to be followed by CT.

03/04 CT shows growth and additonal tumor in renal gland. Decided on l/2 dosage of cisplatinum and cpt-ll. Has severe reaction to chemo and has a seizure. Onc says we will now try Taxol or Gemzar.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dear Hope---I am so sorry for the bad week your Mother had---

I am glad that there was no brain mets--at least that was good news---

Never having chemo, I cannot help you with the answers, however, I just hope she gets through the next chemo with no side-effects---she needs a break, for sure!

best wishes

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dear Hope,

This has really been a difficult week for your family. Earl had seizures (this is how we found the LC) and my daughter has epilepsy so I know how scary they are.

Hope your Mother tolerates the next treatment much better.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.