Squamous Cell Carcinoma - HPV high risk (18/16) positive on lung biopsy

Sam14

Hello to all going through this journey. I’m new here. I was just diagnosed after a few lung scans, a biopsy that initially didn’t find any cancer, and then a bronch found SCC with HPV + on cytology/pathology report - early stage. Due to get lower right lung lobectomy soon. 

Getting seen by a couple of docs to make sure this isn’t a metastasis from an earlier uterine/cervical cancer I had (hence the positive HPV in the lung). 

Anyone ever had this experience?  

Sam,

Sorry you need to be here, but glad you found us.  Welcome to our forums.  I was diagnosed with LC in early 2019.  I had a lobectomy in May 2019 and from then until last August I've been NED (No Evidence of Disease).  My treatment was surgical only, but many here have had varied treatments depending on their diagnosis and condition, so there is a lot of experience for us to share with you as you go through this.  Please ask any questions that come up and also read some of the forums they are filled with important knowledge. 

I'm sure that there is much going through your mind right now, but I want to share some information that I feel can be helpful to you at this time.

1. This is an important blog by one of our long-time survivors who was diagnosed at Stage 3 then Stage 4 and 19 years later was declared "cured".  It's titled "10 Steps to Surviving Lung Cancer; from a Survivor".

2. In addition to Tom's survival story Lungevity has a section titled "Lung Cancer 101" which has a plethora of information from why lung cancer happens to diagnosis, treatment, and other important information.

3. If you do go through a surgical lobectomy (the treatment I had) please read "Thoracic Surgery Tips and Tricks".  It can help you prepare for the surgery, get you through the hospital stay, and also has post-surgery information covered.

I look forward to hearing more from you.

Lou