Ugly Covid finally infects my kid

Our family took a trip with our kid to California and today he tested positive for Covid. I am besides myself and regret relaxing our mask usage. I am panicking as we all share a hotel room and the weather is awfully hot even opening the windows is intolerable. Those who got Covid, can you please send me your positive stories? I am terrified for my kid, my husband and myself. I have paxlovid with us as precaution but just read online that it should not be taken with Tagrisso and this made me worry spiral. Adding to my misery is dad seeming to be near the point of hospice. This Summer is a completely terrible one. Need encouragement my friends, so much bad news is a row.

Lily

I’ve had the misfortune of getting Covid twice. The first time was rougher and I felt very sick so my doctor put me on  LAGEVRIO and that seemed to work well for me. Within the first 24 hrs of taking it my symptoms improved significantly.  The second go around was not pleasant but more like a nasty cold than a flu, so I weathered that one out on my own.  
Wash hands, don’t share anything, use a mask (n95) if you want, and (for my part, on my doctor’s advice, I take 10,000 iu's of vitamin D3 daily). 
My prayers are with you and your family.  Young ones will recover quickly but take all precautions you can for you and your dad. But you will get through this.  
Lou

Lily, 

Deep breaths, my friend. 

First, you can check for interactions here, a wonderful site from the University of Liverpool, or here, another UK university health center. The bottom line: you're OK with Paxlovid and Tag. 

Second, the new strain of Covid seems to be rampant. I picked up Covid in June, on a trip to Austria. I could really blame myself, but someone on my trip had what seemed to be a cold. Who could imagine it might be Covid? This is just to say, there's no telling any more where or how Covid exists. It just is. 

The doctor prescribed Netflix and fluids, as I didn't seem all that sick. She reminded me that Paxlovid has its own side effects. I have had Covid twice and have not used it either time. My mom, 91, had Covid in March. Her age meant she had a hard, hard illness. But we got through it, and even though I was her chief caregiver, I didn't get sick. I stocked the refrigerator with all kinds of fluids. It's important to not just drink water, as too much can screw up your electrolytes. My mother did that and we still have bottles of electrolyte replacement in the pantry. 

I had five days of fatigue, some pretty surprising muscle pain, and what seemed like a cold. My asthma acted up, but I dealt with that the way I usually deal with asthma. Then I went for a short bike ride. 😁 

You will get though this, even if everybody becomes ill. I don't know if you flew and if you did, how you would feel about traveling home with someone who has Covid. You might consider heading home. If that doesn't sit right with you and the hotel is not meeting your current needs, you may be more comfortable in larger quarters-- have you considered moving to an Airbnb or a suite-style hotel with a small living room and a separate bedroom area? I know, who needs that complication, but if it eases some emotional strain, that's a valid reason to make the change. I know I have to remind myself, there's all kinds of ways to take care of myself. Too often, I give short shrift to caring for myself emotionally. 

I'm sorry about your dad. I hope hospice is able to provide comfort to all of you. 

You can do this. 

Karen

Thanks Lou and Karen! It is so demoralizing to get Covid into the home but so far I and dad remain negative, praying it will stay this way so we can have a less miserable rest of our vacation. Kind of stuck here in California since tickets to Canada are always exorbitant and I need to pay thousands to go home early. My kid seems better, hope this continues. I keep blaming myself allowing my kid to play in the pool while it was bursting full with kids. We kept masking everywhere indoors but that was not enough with crowded outdoors. My bad and my feelings of guilt is heavy. He got a nasty ear infection from this miserable virus.

Thanks Karen for the superlative links, right to the point. Amazed how wrong drugs.com info and the like are. I consulted my cancer centre today and they said it is OK to take both & informally pharmacist said if side effects become bothersome, one can consider taking Tag one day on, one off while on Paxlovid. 

Take care all, so many are getting covid again, darn this Summer wave, like an endless nightmare this virus.

Update: I just tested positive, welp, nightmare vacation. Trying to decide whether to take paxlovid, every dr in my team has an opinion. Darn it, 4 years dodging the virus down the drain. Scared though I know I should not be.

Wishing you the best in dealing with covid, Lily.  I have two autoimmune diseases and complications that go along with them.  I've (knock on wood) only had covid once and could not take Paxlovid due to another medication I'm on.  I also saw I think it was Karen's post that Paxlovid is ok with Tag.  Anyways, I took Monlupiravir instead of Paxlovid.  It felt better after my first dose the second day.  I did have rebound covid though do not believe that was due to the covid treatment med - I believe I had a very high viral load, the Monlupiravir knocked it down and then couldn't hold it down.  I read Dr. Fauci gave himself a second dose of Paxlovid for such a reason.  I haven't met a "layperson" who can get a double dose though : )   You got this!

• 1 month later...
On 7/11/2024 at 8:19 AM, LouT said:

Lily

I’ve had the misfortune of getting Covid twice. The first time was rougher and I felt very sick so my doctor put me on  LAGEVRIO and that seemed to work well for me. Within the first 24 hrs of taking it my symptoms improved significantly.  The second go around was not pleasant but more like a nasty cold than a flu, so I weathered that one out on my own.  
Wash hands, don’t share anything, use a mask (n95) if you want, and (for my part, on my doctor’s advice, I take 10,000 iu's of vitamin D3 daily). 
My prayers are with you and your family.  Young ones will recover quickly but take all precautions you can for you and your dad. But you will get through this.  
Lou

I have had COVID 3 times now. This last one was very mild. I, myself, wouldn't stress about it. I'm done doing boosters since they don't prevent the disease.

Just one man's opinion (RLL resection 2000)

Tom