Another Chapter

A new chapter begins in my cancer world as Dr O, my Oncologist, has moved away. There are not enough words to describe the gratitude and respect I have for Dr Olgible. I am one out of two lung cancer patients of his that he treated, that has survived 3 years past the 3 to 6 months survival period most 4th stage matastesized patients are given to live.  I am having some difficulties adjusting to his absence. He was always there when I needed him and now he is gone. I have been waiting for a new Dr to be assigned to me. This Dr will only know me by what is listed in my chart. I will have to build a trust with the new doctor and have faith that he can treat me and my lung cancer with the confidence and experience that Dr "O" has. He knew me, my fears and my needs as his patient. I had my every 3 month cancer scan the other day. Normally Dr "O" would call or have his nurse call to tell me my scan results at the end of the day so I wouldn't have to worry till my next appt to see if the cancer has spread. This week I had my scan on Tuesday and have to wait till when ever to see has spread. This week I had my scan on Tuesday and have to wait till Friday to get any answers. It’s the small things that matter so much. Today is Saturday and I remain without an answer regarding if the cancer has spread or not. The lab is backed up and they do not know for sure when they can read them. I put in a request for the highly recommended new Lung Cancer Dr suggested by a the nurses and doctors as being the “best fit” for me. Everything needs to be set up and with any luck I will meet my new Dr in 3 weeks. In the meantime I am suffering from severe sciatica pain for the past 3 weeks. Tried to enjoy some time with the family at Cape Cod but lasted only two days because of the intense pain. I had Pete bring me home to be more comfortable if that will ever be possible again. Waiting on an MRI to identify the full problem. This could take up to a month. Sorry for my mixed emotions here  but the medical system is becoming so very frustrating and overloaded. 3 weeks of intense pain makes it difficult to be upbeat. I pray this problem can be resolved sooner than later. No worries. I will hang in there as I still have life and family to be so very thankful for.

Laurie,

It looks like the beginning of your post was cut off, but I think I got your point about potential growth in your tumor.  The waiting...any waiting...during our LC journey is always excruciating.  In your case it is no less so.  On top of all this you have the sciatica pain...an unneeded complication.  As someone who is/was (perhaps still is) good at "catastrophizing" I can understand how hard it is to relax at times like this.  But hang in there.  Like you I try to distract myself with projects, friends, family, and my faith.  Please do all you can to detach until you have hard data to go by.  In addition, find some way to take control of your pain.  Just having sciatica itself is enough of a crisis...you surely don't need that in addition to your other concerns.  Please update us when you do get results as well as if you move to the new doctor.

Lou

My oncologist had been threatening to retire since I started. Thoracic oncology has to be so draining. Don't think he'll retire but maybe move. Hopefully his girls are old enough he's stuck for a while. My neurosurgeon just left.  Don't know where she's going.   Hopefully I never need another one. My favorite doesn't even practice medicine anymore and is now a full time painter/wanderer.  My PCP retired last year. I had chosen him because he was also a flight surgeon.  Don't need one anymore but was comfortable.  I too so hate breaking in new doctors. But my oncologist would be a whole new level.

I two ruptured cervical discs.  I tried PT and med's for 3 years. Nothing worked and I'd have even let them take my right arm if it would have helped.  When the neurosurgeon ran out of meds to try and said he I had to have surgery I did.  Out patient and man I was so happy.  It was like the constant roar of pain was suddenly silent.  I wish I'd have agreed sooner.  That was about 30 years ago so I'm sure things are way more advanced. Heck they now have Artificial disc replacement!

I'm sorry you're dealing with so much right now. Changing any doctor is a huge thing to get used to; to have to leave an oncologist you trust...oof!

I know everybody's medical coverage is different. Good for you for calling about the scans. Now, why not call the new person's office directly for an appointment? There's already enough agonized waiting in our lives; anything I can act on, I do, in person or on the phone whenever possible. I find it helps build a relationship with the people I hope will help me. Politely, of course. And in good cheer. And I will call a couple of times if necessary. One thing I might do is thank the person I've called and say, "I hope you don't mind if I check back to see if things have changed." (Sometimes I thank them for the information and tell them I'll check back. Or, I ask to be put on a cancellation list.) 

I wanted also to comment on your statement that most Stage 4 lung cancer folks get months to live. This is certainly an anxiety-provoking thought! In the LC community, we say that numbers about survival are to be ignored. They are not prescriptive of "how long you get." Instead, the statistics describe what has happened in a previous five year period. The stats are from the National Cancer Institute's Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) Program. Their most recent annual report to the nation "includes long-term trends (since 2001) and short-term trends with the most recent five years of data (2014-2018 for incidence and 2015-2019 for mortality)." I hope you will take note of the dates.

I cannot count the number of new FDA-approved lung cancer treatments that have emerged in the five years since the most current annual report, nor the number of new clinical trials that are in progress. 

In addition, it's important to note: these statistics do not reflect what's happening with each specific oncogenic (cancer-causing) mutation: they do not  differentiate between type of lung cancer (adenocarcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma, small cell carcinoma.)  

I have friends with Stage 4 lung cancer who have survived for more than 10 years, with quality of life they feel glad about. Their mantra: keep going until the next treatment option comes out. 

You're obviously strong-- sciatica pain is no joke, and you've been living with it for a while! I hope you will take heart, a little, from what you find here, and gain even a little more strength. 

Keep us posted. 

Hello Karen, Thankyou for bringing to light the statistics you have listed.i need to remember that this is not like a typical bog like my own where I writer how and what I am feeling to my friends nd family but rather a supportive group of others who are experiencing cancer. I will be more careful of my wording in the future as I would never intentionally say any thing that would lead anyone's feelings astray. Again thankyou for bringing this to y attention.

5 hours ago, laurie2020 said:

Hello Karen, Thankyou for bringing to light the statistics you have listed.i need to remember that this is not like a typical bog like my own where I writer how and what I am feeling to my friends nd family but rather a supportive group of others who are experiencing cancer. I will be more careful of my wording in the future as I would never intentionally say any thing that would lead anyone's feelings astray. Again thankyou for bringing this to y attention.

no harm - no foul