chest ct scans

Andrea

Has there been a discussion on the benefits v. risks of chest ct scans every 2 years?

One more thing about my dr visit today--I asked him besides cost, what are the downfalls of getting chest ct scans every 2 years. His answer was excessive radiation which if gotten every 2 years at an early age can lead to other cancers and that the risk of lung cancer in a non young smoker is so low. I then went into the speech of early detection, etc. (this is funny, I guess to cover his butt he asked if I wanted a referral to an oncologist for a consult on cancer screening. I said no, I will just ask my mom's oncologist what I need to do)

I really do wonder, is it benefical to do chest ct scans every 2 years? And at what age? This seems to be an unanswered question, and I ask this without thought of cost to insurance companies (we can all fake a need for a scan if we wanted to). I know for instance ultrasounds are non-invasive. Hmmmm

Of course this dr also got me nuts by wanitng me to see a breast surgeon :) But I guess better safe than sorry.

Now the dilemma is he said it is not an "emergency" and I get on a PPO May 1 where I could see the "good" dr, so not sure if I should wait until then or get a HMO one sooner. It is so much fun playing dr ;)

Andrea,

I am so sorry that you are having to go through this. I have been called back in for another mamo and ultrasound, prior to cancer diagnosis. My MIL thinks it is a scam just to make more money of of patients. Please try not to worry, because most masses are not cancer. I think your mind would be more at ease if you knew for sure what it was; however, would it be considered a pre-existing condition to your new insurance? Also, does your doctor think you could wait, or is this a really suspicious area of concern? Andrea, I would also check to see what this new PPO offers as far as mental health benefits. You have really had some stressful events come to light as of recently. I am a therapist, so please don't be offended by my suggestion. I think "talk therapy" would benefit everyone! Ha! Keep us posted.

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl,

I am not offended, I know I have been too high strung lately :)

I asked the dr if it was an emergency, he said no. I could not tell. When he was examining he felt something, but ssaid it was like ligiment and kind of equal on both sides. I called his office and left a message and asked can this wait till May or should I go to a HMO dr. My plan is not changing so much as I am just upgrading from my existing plan to a PPO :)

I have to admit though, my heart fluttering episodes stopped the day after the intervention when I realized I could not do the walk alone. THat is progress :)

Andrea,

If you are a smoker, you need to have a CAT scan NOW. Not tomorrow, NOW. Don't worry about radiation. I asked my dr. about radiation after all the CAT scans i've had. He said not to worry. He was not concerned about it. However, If you feel your health is at risk, then DEMAND a CAT scan.

Joanie,

I don't think I articulated myself correctly on my post :)I am not a smoker. I never smoked. I am simply a normal too chubby 31 year old with slight worrywartitis :)

My question to the dr was regarding screening. We do mamograms as screenings, colonoscopys after a certain age, pap smears, etc. Well I wanted to know----besides the insurance cost, what are the downsides to a chest ct scan. And that is when he mentioned radiation.

I am curious, does anyone here have an opinion? Have you sent your family for chest ct scans? My point was anyone can really get one if they insist on it or make up symptoms. I am curious to know, HOW OFTEN SHOULD NON SMOKERS (or even smokers) BE SCREENED FOR LC?

It does not seem that there is enough done for screening.

Hi Andrea,

I'm afraid I do not have anwers to your questions as I am kind of in the same boat as you. I'd also be intersted in the answers. I have decided that on my next annual check up coming up I will ask for all possible tests to be done on me so as to get as much baseline information as possible. I am going to ask for a chest x-ray or would a ct scan be better?

Anyway, thanks for asking these questions!

Theresa

My understanding, and I am sure others can correct me if I am wrong, is that by the time the beast shows up on Chest Xrays it is advanced and usually at least Stage III. Early stages rarely show up on chest xrays and that is why scans are better.

Andrea,

Spiral (low dose) Ct scans give off as much radiation as mammography, which women routinely get after 40 (I think that's the age). Doctors don't seem to harp about radiation from that! No, insurance will not pay for it unfortunately because I am not sick.

I want to have one done only as precautionary. My mother smoked, I DIDN'T, but as we all know dx is usually at stage III or IV.

Kim

Andrea,

My first slam-o-gram for the future breast cancer screening was at 35. Normal age IS 40, but with one cancer having grown in my body, I am now at a slightly elevated risk for ANY cancer (meaning I can't have my "girl parts" removed like I wanted due to the possibility of missing a cancer diagnosis through PAP stuff).

Do NOT think that a chest CT is "non-invasive". ANY procedure that involves a needle (and a chest CT involves an IV contrast dye) is considered "invasive". I believe that older smokers receive screening via x-ray every other year. My opinion would be if that's how they treat the folks that are considered more likely to get lung cancer, that would be the LONGEST time frame you would want between screenings. BUT, YOU are 31 and probably are looking at having kids in the future. Check with an obstetrician about residual radiation and gestation/conception windows. Pregnancy and x-rays are not a real good mix...

As for late stage being the only stage picked up with an x-ray, that's a load of hooey, too. I believe OKDebi (Stage I) was diagnosed with an x-ray, and maybe GinaD (I'm not sure on her)... It's all personal - depends on where the tumor is and how much tissue is involved.... I guess it all boils down to "luck"...

(So how's that for scientific theory?) :roll:

Becky

Andrea,

Snowflake is right--CT scans with contrast involve an iv and dye--that's invasive. What I think happens with people where they don't get any kind of early diagnosis is that by the time symptoms show up, many times the disease is in the later stages.

Happenstance seems to be the way early stage diagnosis is made. Chest x-rays for different problems seem to be how early stage is stumbled upon. I know of cases where people were just getting a routine chest x-ray in preparation for some other surgery--when anesthesia is involved, surgeons always like to know that a chest x-ray is clear.

In my case, I just had a chest x-ray at the suggestion of my breast surgeon. The only reason he had me get one was because he knew it had been two years since my last one (just before breast surgery) and I was a smoker.

Also, my radiology report from that x-ray says that the problem could be a lot of different, benign things, but BECAUSE OF MY PRIOR HISTORY OF CANCER, it should be further investigated.

But, there it was, as it all turned out, a Stage I cancer easily visible on the x-ray. Even I could see when I looked at the film that something wasn't right in that area.

I think that for so many of the non-smokers who get that initial diagnosis that is beyond a stage I or II, docs think it so unlikely that they would have lc, they don't do those x-rays until every other more likely cause is ruled out.

I know someone who just passed away form stage IV at diagnosis--he had been treated for a few years for a sore shoulder that just would not get better. Was seeing doctor, physical therapist, the whole thing. No one was looking for lc because "he hadn't smoked in years."

I don't know what the answers are.