any Iressa suggestions?

Guest bbypookins

Guest bbypookins

Hi everyone-

Mom has been on Iressa for almost three weeks now and she just started getting the "rash" all over her face and scalp (she still has all her hair). Anyone have any good remedies for this? In combination with the pain she is in now, it's really getting her down. Also, what does everyone else take for pain? She takes Vicodin, which does take the edge off, but it makes her feel loopy so she doesn't like to take it.

Also, we had decided to get a second opinion at UC Davis, a fabulous hospital here in Sacramento, but because of the fact that her current medical group doesn't have a contract with UCD, they can't refer her there. And, if she goes on her own, they will drop her. Unbelievable! She's fighting for her life and they're playing games. It's soooo infuriating! She's very depressed about it. She had really pinned her hopes on finding a much better onc (instead of the uncompassionate idiot who told her she has six months left) and some state of the art treatments there. So when they said she couldn't go, she felt like they were just writing her off. My mom is pretty pessimistic anyway, but it's even worse now. We're just keeping our fingers crossed that the Iressa will work.

Kim

Hi Kim, My Doctor gave me clyndamycin for the rash, it seemed to help, keeping it moist seems to hekp relieve the itch. I just saw a dermatoligist and entered a study for the rash, if I hear anything rom them I will post it here.

As far as pain vicodin has been the best pain reliever for me, it does make me a little giddy, and I turn in to a chatty cathy, have also tried percoset and morphine both which turn me in to a zombie, don't like that feeling unless the pain is and 8 or higher on a scale of 1-10.

Good luck to your mother and yourself. David A

Kim,

Contact the case manager if you're dealing with an HMO....and if you don't reach satisfaction there, talk to the case manager's supervisor...

Most PPOs will allow an "out of network" visit, but the co-pay is higher, AND, a patient CAN do a "self-referral" for treatment and being seen (something I learned last year) - just call the hospital being considered and find out what their policy is.

Don't take "no" for an answer, keep pushing. It's just like everywhere else in "real life" - the most persistent (or bitchy) "customer" gets served first to get 'em out of your face....Keep calling.

Becky

Hi Kim,

We ran into the same problem as you in dealing with my mom's insurance. We used UC Davis as a back up. We did everything through the HMO, but then all referrals we tried to filter through UC Davis. Kaiser subcontracts Gamma Knife surgery to UC Davis and subcontracts radiation to Sutter Cancer Center. I can't remember if you are with Kaiser. If so, I have a referral for a doctor...Our oncologist was great, but she transferred to Stanford in the Bay Area but she referred the female doctor who works out of Kaiser Morse and I've heard great things about her bedside manner. I went through three Kaiser doctors before I found the one my mom had. I think female doctors are a little more sensitive.

Kim,

I take Vioxx and Neurontin and morphine extended release for pain -- neurontin is specific for nerve pain, Vioxx is more for arthritic type pain. Celebrex is an alternative to vioxx -- sometimes one works but not the other for a person. Nerve pain is where pressure is on a nerve or a nerve is being pinched or stretched or otherwise brutalized. It's helping my father for his pinched nerve/bulging disc pain also. He also takes percocet. My ex takes vicodin and celebrex for his torn lower back ligaments and damaged nerves.

Whatever the cause, I know being a zombie doesn't help, but chronic nagging pain will grind you down pretty darn fast, and that doesn't do even healthy people any favors....

Hope you get a handle on it soon.

XOXOX

MaryAnn