Really concerned...

sharyn

well, i put off writing because I didn't want to actually put into words what I am feeling, because that would make it too real for me. Daddy has not been feeling well for the past month. Nothing horrible, just a general fatigue and he has no "get up and go". He did call his Onc on Monday, the Onc does not want to see him until May 25th. I think this may be becasue he JUST HAD his MRI and CT Scans done 4 weeks ago and all looked good, including the blood work. I keep hoping he is just having a bad reaction to the Zometa they switched him too in January, but I am scared. His appetite is excellent. He is not sleeping more than usual, just says he feels frustrated because he cant do what he use to do such as cut the lawn, etc. he continues to go out with mom every day shopping etc. yesterday he lugged a 40 pd bag of cow manure from the car to the yard (which for a 79 year old man, is a pretty good feat) I just don't like that he keeps saying he is not "feeling right". Any ideas, I keep reading old posts on here about people who all of a sudden become fatigued and then it seems to be the start of the end of the road... AND I AM REALLY REALLY SCARED. I am not dealing with this well at all .... I need you.... Sharon

If he isn't feeling right and the Onc won't see him before the 25th then make an appointment with his Primary Physician (be he GP or Internist).

If the labs being done are just the run of the mill CBC and Chem Panels then it is entirely possible that these results are normal even though one has active disease.

Trust your instincts...

Sharon,

I hope I can help you feel better about your Dad's fatigue. I am almost 2 years since my dx. I like your Dad am not the same and will never be the same again. I have work my way out of the fatigue out of necessity. Before Rochelle got sick with endocarditis I slept 9 hours a day and sometimes an afternoon nap. When she got sick I had to be up at 6:30 to get our 5 year old daughter off to school. Then all the household duties. I visited her in the hospital twice a day. Gave her Mother care, she broke her shoulder the same week Rochelle got sick. Plus lot more stuff but I need to shorten this. I got beyond the fatigue.

Like your Dad I still can not do the things I used to do. I can do strenuous things but have to sit down and rest a while. Then get back at it. I used to work right along and not need any rest. I am really happy that I can still do stuff but, it is frustrating that it takes me so much longer. I do not get as much done in a day as I used to. I think how your Dad is doing is "normal" considering the disease and how long he is a survivor. Try not to be scared. Relax and enjoy your time together. Worry only wears on you and does not do anybody any good. Deal with the crap and enjoy the good.

Take care John

Sharyn,

I agree with the advise on seeing a primary physician with your concerns. But, like Mr Ry said, this is something that takes a lot out of your body. It's not necessarily bad for your dad, but I would also like to see cardiac issues rules out with someone his age. Could just be a function of age too. I hope everything gets straightened out soon for your sake.

Sharyn,

The fact that HE took the initiative to call his onc. so soon after good results makes me agree with everyone on this board that he should trust his instincts--and delve into the matter more.

Can you get him to be more specific re: "not feeling right"? Just general fatigue? Shortness of breath? Pain somewhere? Discomfort somewhere? Lack of ability to focus? Low spirits?

If he goes to see his Primary Care Physician, it will help if he can describe in greater detail exactly what is making him feel "off" a little more.

Obviously something IS bothering him--the question is: is it 1) a specific physical complaint that needs to/can be be addressed 2) an unfortunate side effect of having LC that one just has to learn to adapt to (like Mr. Ry described) 3) a psychological complication (neither aging nor cancer are much fun--esp. for a man as active and independent as your dad sounds) or 4) a combo of the above.

Could he be anemic? Mildly depressed? Bored? Low O2? Is he well hydrated enough? (I know that may sound silly, but Geoff is an entirely different person when he is even mildly dehydrated.)

This may also sound ridiculous--but is he surrounded by women (and only women) all the time? Has his illness prevented him from hanging out with his male friends in a way that it used to? That sure as heck affected my grandfather adversely--not that he didn't like women (incl. my mom, the light of his life, and his two female grandchildren). But he was a "guy's guy" and missed hanging out with the boys. He was so THRILLED to get away from his beloved womenfolk and go hang out with Geoff--even though he was 104 and Geoff was a twenty-something!!! :)

Guys on the board--can you elaborate on this point a bit more?

I wish I were a doctor (is there a doctor on the board? :) )

Get him to TALK and then to a GP--so you can both sleep better. That's my uneducated guess.

Please do keep us posted, though. We will be thinking of you both.

Melinda

I don't have real words of wisdom, except to say I'm glad to see you posting your fears. I think that is what we are all about here--a safe place for us to fall when we need to.

I like the primary doctor idea---sometimes things are not cancer related---like my big toe hurting right now---although I try to make it so.

gail

Thanks for all your replies and advice. I agree with you all that a visit to his primary doc would be a good thing.... he will not hear of it - says he is fine, just "can't do what I use to do". No shortness of breath, no pain, no dizziness, no confusion - I have run the list with him... he has not lost any weight. I suspect he could have depression - which I know can cause fatigue. As far as hanging out with the guys... he use to be a GOLF NUT and a phenomenal golfer at that. He refuses to play this year because he says he knows he can't hit the ball as far as he use to and he is embarrassed to go on the course!!! Talk about a man with pride (or ego). I am thinking maybe his Onc will advise him to see his primary if his onc has no answers - I am still thinking in the back of my mind that it is a reaction to the Zometa (maybe thats just wishful thinking on my part). It is just a knee-jerk reaction that my mind always goes to that "bad place". I will keep pushing him to see his primary, but he is a VERY stubborn man and HATES doctors because in his words "if you don't have something wrong when you walk in their office, they will finid something wrong with you." HE IS A TYPICAL THICK IRISHMAN!! I will keep you all updated and I can't begin to tell you what it means to just know you are all here when I need you - I thank God for you everyday. Love, Sharon

Sharon,

My husband was Irish, and a small reflexion as

general fatigue, is usually played down as only an

Irishman can do, so the only thing to do is watch

and again suggest that he sees his family doctor,

it may take a week or so, but he may change his mind,

like all good Irishman do.

Hope all will go well.

xoxo

J.C.