Hospice

If you search you will find some old posts on this. The short answer being yes.

If you are having a problem complain to the director and/or switch hospices. All hospices are different, some good, some bad. You aren't obligated to stay with a program that's not meeting your needs.

We did in the beginning. Luckily the case manager from our insurance company got it straightened out in one day. After that everything was fine.

Are you having a specific problem that you'd like to share??

Good luck,

Debbie

While my husband was dying the hospice nurse went to sleep. This was the nurses first and last visit to our house; I didn't have hospice until the very end, that night. The nurse complained about her 11 month old baby and was late getting to the house because of the baby. Oh, well, nothing I can do about it now but let others know that the nurses are NOT there to sleep.

Good luck and speak what you feel.

Abby

• 2 weeks later...

I had no relatively "horrible" experiences with Hospice but I will tell you that it was not at all what I had been led to believe. I only called Hospice in during the last two weeks of Dennis' life. I was tired and knew I needed help from professionals. I had an RN come out 2 times a week and an aid came to help me bathe him 4 days a week. I was under the impression that Hospice would "know" when the end was near and would manage to have someone trained with me...even a volunteer. Wrong for thinking that! Also, I vividly remember the day the "Care Pack" came. I was told to keep it in the refrigerator and the contents were explained to me. I was doing pretty good until we came to the one little package of pills. The nurse told me these pills were to help with the "death rattles" and should they begin, I was to take one pill out and place it under my husband's tongue! I was in shock!!!! Me??? Do this???? Well, you know...the time came and I was able to put that little pill under his tongue and THANK YOU GOD it did work. I was not completely alone when the end came, as my sleeping sons were in the house. But, I had been led to believe a "professional" would be with us during the end.

• 2 weeks later...

My mom passed away in March 2003 and my family had a terrible

experience with hospice. Since my moms passing I have heard others

who also had bad experiences with hospice and some with good. I

myself would never use there services again but, that is just my opinion.

Haylee

• 1 month later...
Guest tbonemr

Alan, tbonemr, my husband, and I were married June 23, 2003. On July 23,2003 we found out that he had stage 3 lung cancer. He did mega doses of radiation and chemo therapy every week at the same time.

In December finished the treatment and learned that the tumors in the lung had decreased in size. The next week I had to take him to the ER room where we learned that he had mets to the brain. He had radiation to the brain, which was unsucessful. On Jan 21, 2004, while holding my hand, the hand of his bride of six months he lost his battle with cancer.

We had contacted the area Hospice program and they had began assistanting us right before Christmas.

I have only good things to say about our area hospice nurses and the care that Alan received. However the Bereavement program after he passed leave much to be desired.

I miss him so much and am so angry that when I FINALLY found the love of my life......cancer stole him from me!!!!!!!

luluc,

Our family had a wonderful experience with hospice when my grandmother died in North Carolina (and many of her friends who went before her did, as well). In fact, frankly, they were a relief after the two-faced nursing home staff.

I feel so strongly about them that we donate to them--unsolicited--each year.

I'm sure--like anything--the quality of hospice care depends on the particular organization AND the particular person/people you come into contact with.

Bottom line: make sure you get what you need.

Best wishes,

Melinda

TBone and the family had a great experience with Hospice of Columbus, a non-profit organization. They were really supportive, there when called, compassionate and knowledgeable. The doctor was so kind and gentle with him.

Keep looking until you find a good one.

Fran

Not trying to make anyone feel bad, but Luluc's post was dated June 2. Her brother died on June 4. Thought you would all want to know.

It's probably a good idea for all of us, including me, to try to get in the habit of checking the dates on posts if we think of it.

Luluc, we are all very sorry for the loss of your brother.

Peggy