my thought about Cancer

berisa

In Hong Kong, my living place, one in three men and one in four women are likely to be affected by cancer in Hong Kong. Many of us believe that our risk of cancer is linked to genetics, environmental hazards, food additives or just 'bad luck' and we cannot do anything about it. However, the truth is much more encouraging: scientists now know that the foods we eat, and the way we live, play a crucial part in our risk of developing cancer. To reduce that risk is by incorporating our diet and health recommendations into our daily lives, we can reduce cancer incidence by 30-40 per cent. By not smoking, we can also reduce our risk by up to 35 per cent.

Maybe this may offend you but I just think and want to share my feeling here. These few weeks I just think, cancer itself is terrible, but cancer is a natural disease that make people die. Death is natural and everyone must die and death is unavoidable. The cause of death are divided into 3 catergories, 1st is accident, 2nd is disease, the 3rd one is natural death (old enough to die). And I just ask, how many people could be lucky enough in the 3rd category - Natural death?? So, I think disease is the most likely cause of death for the majority.

If people is not belonged to the group of obsesity that leads to heart-attack & diabetics, then cancer is the most likely disease causing death. I just think our body is like a machine that deterioriates day by day, year by year and to the certain point, the genes inside us and the system of our body functions wrongly, just only in one second functioning wrongly which is not working in normal status, then our body started to uncontrollably produce cancer cells that our system cannot destroy, like a old machine that from time to time, no repair service could fix it anymore.

So I think cancer may be a natural cause to death because there must be one reason to make one die. It is quite natural. But, sometimes what the pain leads us to suffering is very unbearable. THE MOST upset thing is that, for someone, we are not supposed to deterioriate too earlier. This is certainly a matter of timing. We all wish it happen later.

When I think in this way, it makes me feel better to accept my dad's passing. I am sorry for any bad feelings that brought by this message. I just wish to share with you and I don't mean anything to offend or hurt anyone here.

Guest bean_si (Not Active)

Berisa,

I agree with you. We all must die. That's a scientific fact. Cancer is merely a mechanism of death. Horrible, yes - for both the patient and family. It's a good thing to remember that the disease comes from a number of scientific/environmental/genetic factors and is most definitely NOT a judgment or punishment from a loving God. Absolutely not.

Cat

I have to put my two cents in on this subject...First, we have to let each other say what we want without fear of being laughed at or fussed at.

I know when I read what each of you say, sometimes I agree, sometimes I don't but I'm so glad we have each other to vent to. I was laying in bed the other night wanting so desperately to "purge" all my feelings of hopelessness and doubt but I can't say it to my husband and I can't say it to anyone else because I don't want to bring anyone else down. Anyway, I had promised my son I would sleep with him for the night and we sat up talking until that wonderful Ambien kicked in and so I slept off my need to purge and you were all spared all the horrible things were running through my mind.

As far as blaming God, I don't know, I can see why people ask "WHY ME?" and I can honestly say I don't understand "WHY US?" but my feelings have been of gratitute to God for first providing Robert to me, giving Alex to us. I have been blessed with the two of them. We have been lucky enough to have good insurance and Robert has short-term disability which keeps us moving along financially. Grasping on to my faith with both fists clenched tightly gets me out of bed. Somedays I only make it to my knees but I'm up.

I thank each of you for sharing your feelings and your stories. Some make me laugh others make me cry but knowing you are all out there, waiting to help, waiting to give also gives me reason to get up.

I think it's normal to rage and feel frustration, anxiety and depression when you or a loved one is diagnosed with cancer. It's also normal throughout the course of the disease to have these feelings.

As for blaming God or asking "why me", I have posted in other forum that after hearing the latest bad news and experiencing other problems, I broke down and cried, "God must hate me."

We are humans. When our spirits are so overwhelmed we try to understand - we try to make sense of what is happening. It is our nature. There is only one entity that most of us know that is considered to have some influence over our fate and that entity is God. As humans, we need something within our experience to rail at - to scream at and perhaps to blame. We can't blame anything so incomprehensible/intagible as FATE so we blame something we can "grasp" and that is often God.

Gee, I can't explain this well but I'm trying. I believe that all people going through trauma have the urge and often submit to the need to blame someone and often the only someone we can think of is God.

But it's temporary. It's as though our spirit is lost and is wandering, looking for a place of respite. Eventually, our spirit comes back to the belief that there is a greater power than us and that this greater power is not responsible for the trauma we experience.

There is nothing wrong with questioning the existence of God (or a power greater than ourselves). How else do you come to know that such a power exists?

It's okay to weep and rage at God. After all, if we come to believe in a power that is greater than ourselves - well, that's it. A power that is greater than ourselves who understands that we are only human and that in moments of terror and grief we react with our emotions.

I've posted this before: The devil is not going to get you. God is not going to disown you but neither is he/she responsible for the cancer you are fighting.

Only my opinion.

Cat

I think that God would much rather that we rant and rave, and say "He hates me", and "I hate Him". You know why? Because he is a GOD OF TRUTH. God knows we're human and He knows to not expect anything from us, but if there is any one thing that I think gets his attention more than anything else, it's TRUTH. Always be honest with God about how you feel. I have also heard someone say that hating God is almost as good as loving God. If someone hates Him, at least they are acknowledging His existence.

I remember one time praying to God and asking him to BLESS someone that had hurt me terribly. That's what we're supposed to do right? Pray for our enemies? In the very same prayer I also told him that I didn't mean it. In my heart I really hoped something bad would happen to this person and I told Him so. I asked Him to forgive me for those thoughts and to cleanse my heart, but they were real thoughts and feelings.

I hope my comments here don't offend anyone. This whole thread should probably be moved to the Spirituality section if that can be done.

Much love to everyone,

Peggy

"Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." Jesus, John 8:32

I remember one time praying to God and asking him to BLESS someone that had hurt me terribly. That's what we're supposed to do right? Pray for our enemies? In the very same prayer I also told him that I didn't mean it.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Oh thank you - that's hysterical and so honest.

Cat

Ha -- I have tried several times to say, "... and God bless ____" and then sort of did this combination of a yelp and a growl and almost wanted to spit afterwards, because I don't really mean it :twisted: and then all you can do is laugh, because of COURSE He knows you don't mean it - ha! So I just say, "Well, God, I WISH I wanted you to bless him... but I guess I'm just not ready... That will take devine intervention." :roll: ... and then I just go back to asking blessings on the people I really DO want blessed.

Anyway, I do agree that there's no escaping the truth when you talk to God. You just feel the way you do, and that's that, and I think He can handle it. :wink:

Berisa, I think you said some important things for us all to remember, too.

BeckyCW