Phone Buddy for my Mom...

niececola

Hi,

I was thinking that it might be a good idea for my mom to speak with someone who truly understands what she is going through. I mentioned this idea to her and she said it sounded like a good one, so I was wondering if there would be anyone here who can help us out. She is in a tough place right now, has decided to do Iressa for now, but is really struggling coming to terms with what is happening to her. It would be so ideal for her to hear some encouraging words from the survivors here who wake up each day and just try to make it the best day possible.

I would GLADLY send along a phone card to cover the costs of the calls. Please PM me if you are interested.

Thank you,

Denise

I am quite certain that someone here will gladly volunteer to talk with your mom, but I also wanted to let you know that ALCASE has a WONDERFUL "Phone Buddy" program. They will match your mom up to someone who has been in her shoes, or is going through the same thing and they will be there to provide support whenever she needs it.

All you have to do is call ALCASE, give a profile on your mom, and they take care of the rest! My phone buddy has been such a comfort/inspiration to me -- Stage IIIA, with treatment mirroring mine, and doing quite well, 5 years out from diagnoses. She is always available to talk and every conversation fills me with hope!

Hi Denise,

Bless you for thinking of your mom. I'm sure someone around here has had a similar course of treatments and disease presentation that would love to talk to her.

Alcase does have phone buddies, I found mine to be less than comforting, although she was still alive 7 years out.

Hugs to you and your mom,

XOXOXOX

Prayers always,

MaryAnn

I wish I could help :( I talked to my mom and she can't do anyone any good by talking right now. She is really down herself and she knows a lot about Denise and is afraid she would breakdown on the phone with her mom and cause more harm.

Denise, my mom does ask about you all the time.

For those who don't know, Denise and I have a semi-connection which we discovered on this board. We went to the same college in NY and lived in the same dorm at the same time, but did not know each other.

Denise--I don't have your e-mail here with me. My mom just called and said that she hopes to have more strength next week after we see the doctor to talk to your mom. My mom does not know you, but she loves you very much. She is so emotionally attached to you, Nat and Andrea B. and I think feels a bit of the guilt that I sometimes feel that she is doing well comparatively and why her.

Hopefully there is someone who can call this week and then my mom will call the week after.

(((ANDREA!))) You are too sweet and so is your mom... Where are you, by the way? Please tell me you escaped from work for a few hours?

I know I speak for all the girls that we are SO happy your mom is doing well and want her to continue to do so. As you know very well, the sadness is there when our own family member is not doing well, but there is happiness when others here are responding to treatment and beating this beast back.

I will keep you updated on Mom. She is hopefully home on Thursday and I really hope she feels better when she gets there. I know that Clover will probably have a heart attack when she sees her! :D

Love,

Denise

Hi Denise,

I'm not sure that I am the best one to talk to your Mom or not. I am a better listener than a talker, but willing to give it a try. You can PM me if you like. I seem to be one of the lucky ones that really has done very well with all of the treatments, I had a few problems but nothing really to complain about. I do try to keep a very positive attitude.

Best wishes,

Dee