Misdiagnosed: Pulminary Embolism as Kidney Stones!

mandy

My mother and I went to the emergency room because she was having severe lower back pain.. the doctors were convinced she had kidney stones. She has a histor of blood clots but the doctors ruled out Pulminary Embolism (when a clot goes up to your lungs) because she has a filter in her vena cava. My mom was discharged and the pain only increased and spread to her back. She was then treated for a pleual infection. Finaly we raced back to the hospital when her leg was swelling and it turns out she has a HUGE clot formaion up and down her leg, and she has sufered a pulminary embolism which destroyed precious lung tissue. We have since switched oncology practices. My mom will have to stay in the hospital for a week or so, but is so lucky to be alive!

Common symptoms of PE:

shortness of breath, abdominal pain, back pain, edema, fever

Risk Factors: carcinoma, history of DVT (blood clot)

Mandy, I am sad to say that blood clots are all too common when you have cancer. Some people find out they have cancer because they have clots. You say your Mom has an umbrella to catch clots, how long ago did she get it, or when was it that she found she needed it? It is said that if clots are caused by cancer that the best treatment is heparin, not coumadin. Please keep us posted. Donna G

John gave us this address and info

http://www.thedoctorwillseeyounow.com/a ... cer/hep_4/

I am glad she is ok now. I looked around and a PE will occur around 4% of the time with someone with a filter or umbrella.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like there are any great tests to detect PE.

A ventilation-perfusion (V/Q) scan is the most widely used test but it does seem too accurate. Did she get a V/Q scan?

Lower extermity compression ultrasound, impedance plethysmography, and helical CT scans I read are used to detect PE

Can she receive an anticoagulant like low molecular weight herapin?

The filter may prevent some PE, but it does nothing for the blood clotting.

I'm not a Dr but you might want to ask about a drug to reduce the blood clots (she might not be able to take such a drug for various reasons), because the filter won't help with the clots