Pet Scans/CT Scans

Carol Lee S

I asked Gene's Doc when he would be getting another PET as he hasn't had one in a few months. At that point it showed the large tumor in the left lung. He did have a CT when he was in the hospital last month for the non malignant plueral effussion, and that's when the Doc said he was restanged from 11B to IV. They are telling us that the right lung has lots of "nodules" but they haven't been biopsied nor have they done a PET. It seems to me they should be doing a PET or a biopsy or something more definite. The Doc seems to think that they are just to small to biopsy. Maybe I am off base or just in denial??? The effusion has completely resolved. However I am going to bring it up again on Thursday, I need more clarification. Sorry for rambling but I needed to talk this out, I am getting confused, stressed and of course extremely worried. Thanks for listening!! Carol

I apologize for those who have read this in other threads, but I always feel the need to tell it when I hear a question like this.

My father had a nodule show up on a CT scan 1/02. Onc was in no rush to cut him for a biopsy because he had just had a stem cell transplant 4 months before for non hodgkins lymphoma. So, he decided to watch it. It didnt grow until 6/02 and a PET was done. It did not light up. Continue to watch. Grew slightly in 1/03, and slightly more in 3/03. PET done 4/2/03 lit up along with a node. Needle biopsy was done (which is not too invasive which you could try to ask onc about), which confirmed it was lung cancer.

Ask for a PET, or needle biopsy. These things shouldnt wait.

Thanks Ada for the PET SCAN info, I think the Doc did say they were too small but I was wondering why they wouldn't want to see if the larger tumor was responding? anf Thank You Linda, I asked once already for a needle biopsy Onc said there were too many and too small. He said the Gemzar will either work or not. I am really uncomfortable about his answer so I am going to continue to ask on Thursday but more strongly. I'm glad you re-enforced my fears of waiting. Time is so important. Gene was accepted into a clinical trial in Texas if Gemzar doesn't work so I don't want to wait too long. Thank you all again I need reasurance and a boost!!! Carol

Hi Carol

This is the first time I'm able to respond to a message on this board and I think that you've gotten the correct advice already but I'll reinforce it. Right now, they are checking into whether my Dad's cancer has metasticized into the bones. They found a very small spot on that CT scan and were not sure. So they did a PET scan today. We were told that if the PET scan lit up, it would have metasticized. However, if it didn't light up, then we would have to have a biopsy anyhow since the spot is so small. In other words, it seems that there are some spots that are too small for PET scans which I thought were the "be all and end all" of things.

By the way, Carol, today was my last day of school. Actually, I am leaving a week plus early. Tomorrow I'm flying home to be with my Dad and to take over some of these doctor appts. and let my sister get back to work... So i'll be on L.I. tomorrow night and I haven't a clue for how long.

Let us know how Gene's appt. goes on Wednesday.

Gail

Guest Karen L

Hi! I have to give a flip side of PET scans. My husband's 7/02 PET scan lit up like a Christmas tree: Adrenal, spine, liver and lung. Biopsies of liver and adrenal were benign, bone scan normal and only malignant cytology is in the pleural fluid. CT scans have not changed since 10/02, which is a good thing. Go figure. This has all been going on for over a year now and he's still doing really good right now. Good days and not so good but we keep trying to live our lives. There are always exceptions to the stats. Also, PET scans are VERY expensive (Jeff's was $7000) so insurance companies will not always authorize them.

I have pets and cats---and they both show something differnt so then what?

I seem to have inflammatory tissue that lights up the pet scan---but the next , the spots are gone so go figure

not always accurate

regards eileen-