red wine and lung cancer

Marie

Here is one of the several articles I have read this week on the subject.

*Side note -- I decided to have a glass of red wine last night -- I have not had a drink in a year (since my wedding champagne) -- I must admit, I was drunk before I finished the glass :oops:

Study suggests red wine slows lung cancer

Thursday, October 28, 2004 Posted: 10:00 AM EDT (1400 GMT)

LONDON (Reuters) -- Drinking red wine could protect against lung cancer, but white wine may increase the risk, Spanish scientists said on Thursday.

They examined the effects of different types of wine on lung cancer, the most common and deadly form of the disease.

"Consumption of red wine ... was associated with a slight but statistically significant reduction in the development of lung cancer," Professor Juan Barros-Dios, of the University of Santiago de Compostela, said in a study in the journal Thorax.

Red wine contains tannins and resveratrol, substances which he said could explain the drink's anti-cancer properties.

Tannins act as antioxidants, which mop up free radicals -- particles harmful to cells. Resveratrol is known to fight cancer tumor growth.

"We have known for a while that drinking a little red wine can protect against a number of conditions, from the common cold to coronary heart disease. This new research suggests that red wine, in moderation, could also protect against lung cancer, said Professor Andrew Peacock of the British Thoracic Society

The scientists could find no explanation why white wine appeared to increase lung cancer risk.

"We really don't know how to explain this result. Maybe it highlights the difference in red and white wine composition," Dr Alberto Ruano-Ravina, who worked on the research, explained in a telephone interview.

But the scientists emphasized the risk was very slight and only 39 white wine drinkers were studied.

Barros-Dios was careful not to encourage binge drinking to combat the disease, which the latest World Health Organization figures show killed 1.2 million people in 2000.

"It would be extremely risky -- and even dangerous -- for recommendations to be drawn up endorsing high consumption of red wine for the prevention of lung cancer," he said in the study.

The researchers stressed the aim of the study was to investigate red wine's anti-cancer components, not to determine how much wine would ward off cancer.

"We do not recommend drinking if you want to prevent lung cancer," Ruano-Ravina said, adding that smokers should quit.

The effects of wine drinking were studied in 132 people with lung cancer and 187 people who were in hospital for non-tobacco related minor surgery in the northwestern Santiago de Compostela district of Spain.

I haven't heard any of this info in the news . . . have been in my own little world with Halloween/school/volunteer/husband-out-of-town activities. BUT I find it very interesting, especially given the fact that I'm usually only a red wine drinker, but tonight - yes, TONIGHT! - I happen to have a glass of white wine sitting here on my desk - probably the first white wine I've had in six months! Is someone trying to send me a message?! TBone, are you there?!?! :)

Praying for us all,

TeeTaa

I read the same article last night. Tonight I had a glass of red wine. One study said there was a 13% decrease in lung cancer in people that drink red wine. No mention of how much it takes etc. With all the meds that I am on ( and probably many of you), I would guess that one glass is gonna have to be enough for me.

Nina

I hardly, if ever, drink at home unless it is a social situation. But Earl and I both really enjoyed Pinot Noir (from Oregon if possible) and yesterday I bought a little 4 pack of Pinot Noir.

Well, yep, last night I poured myself a glass and read my book. What luxury! Now I don't have to feel decadent.

Very interesting news! I'm not much of a wine drinker, except for a glass of white zinfindel now and then, or a good reisling. (Of course I don't drink enough to know what's going to BE good... sometimes I just get lucky when there's wine at a party.) But maybe I'll go on a quest to find a red wine I like!

BeckyCW