Brain Met Questions

MommaL

Hi Everyone,

I have not signed on for a long time. I had some serious health problems which are now under control. My husband was doing extremely well. But, he had a seizure on Tuesday and was diagnosed with brain mets. He is undergoing radiation and will soon begin Iressa. Anyone, experience this? There is no sign of visible cancer in other parts of his body.

Jean,

I also was recently diagnosed with brain mets. I have undergone 10 whole brain radiation treatments. I was on Iressa when the brain mets were found. Mine are very small. I had a brain MRI done due to headaches that I was having.

Is your husband having whole brain radiation?

I was taken off Iressa during wbr and am now back on it. There is some evidence that Iressa can help combat brain tumors. Lung cancer is well known to met to the brain. Unless symptoms are present, most doctors don't regularly do brain MRI's, from what I understand.

My prayers are with you and your husband that the radiation does the trick.

TAnn

Thank you so much for this news!! It is very comforting. My husband's mets are very tiny too. Yes, he is having whole brain radiation due to the tiny size and spread of the mets. I did not know that Iressa is used for mets. We continue to stay optomistic!

Hi Jean,

My husband is presently undergoing whole brain radiation for 5 mets to the brain. His too, are very small and we are hopeful that the wbr will successfully combat this hurdle in our recovery. Bill's surgery in June, combined with chemo and radiation, have left us with scans showing no visable signs of cancer and we were perplexed as well. The neurologist told us that it was very possible that the mets to the brain were microscopic and not detected prior to the start of chemo...we have no reason to believe that the chemo is not working and we are still going to be in remission once wbr is behind us. I hope and pray you have the same good fortune.

Love and prayers,

Jean,

My husband had a perfectly clean MRI, followed by a clean CT and we thought we were cruising in the miracle category. The doc wanted to do PCI and we refused. A month later Steve had 15 brain mets. So guess those microscopic cells just hide everywhere. Steve had to start chemo again for systemic cancer after WBR, but didn't work so he went on Iressa and things are looking good! Thinking of you because I know this comes as such a shock when things feel like they're under control.