thoughts and gifts

lilyjohn

Christmas, thoughts and gifts

I have some thoughts about Christmas that I want to share. It seems lately that every time we turn around we hear about another controversary about God's name being somewhere. Now many are even trying to take Christ out of Christmas. If it were not for Christ there would be no Christmas. Most people don't want God or Christ removed from the public but all we do is talk about it or stage some small protest that never really makes a difference. I am telling you that there is a way to make a difference. A way that each and everyone of us can not only bring Christ back into Christmas but God into our everyday lives.

Even the most devout person can find themselves it situations this time of year that tests our patience and quite frankly make us act in a most un Christian way. Maybe it is time we stop and think before we react. Maybe it is time that we remember the reason for Christmas and act accordingly.

When you are in traffic and someone cuts you off instead of getting angry take a minute to speculate about that person instead of jumping to judge him. His or her mind may be with a loved one who is in the hospital and he is trying to get things done as quickly as possible because time is so precious. Not because of more shopping or a party that he may be late for but because he knows that if his loved one even makes it to Christmas it will be the last.

The elderly lady who is in front of you at the store and takes too much time to do what she needs to do and acts like she has all of the time in the world may be trying to feel herself a part of the holidays in the only way she can. She has plenty of time on her hands because she is alone and has no one to share the holidays with. Instead of getting angry wish her a Merry Christmas.

The old man that is at the grocery store in front of you and seems to be lost may be shopping alone for the first time in his life because his wife has died recently and he has never had to do anything alone before. For him the holidays won't bring joy only sadness and remind him that he is alone.

It is so easy to forget why we celebrate Christmas. We can get so caught up in the hustle and bustle of the season that we forget about people. We forget how to care. For most this is a busy and happy time of year but for many it is the most painful time.

Everyone wants to be happy this time of year. We put so much into it that we feel obligated to be happy to make the season pay for the time and money that we have invested. Because of that we tend to ignore or forget some people at a time when they need us most.

My personal experience as well as my work with ill and elderly people have made me very aware of some things. You don't have to understand a person's pain to know that they suffer. You don't have to know the right words to say to give comfort. Sometimes just a hug or a touch on the arm can say what words can't. Looking someone in the eye when you say "Merry Christmas" only takes a second more that it does to mumble the greeting as you rush on your way, yet to someone who is alone or having a hard day it can mean the world.

Sometimes the most important thing you can do for someone is listen. Some things are very painful to live with and having to live with those things without being able to talk about them makes it even harder. Everyone wants to feel of value. We all need someone to care and to show that they care. Being sick or old and frail does not change that. Just remember that there are no guarantees. We are not promised next year or next month or for that matter even tomorrow. In the blink of an eye your world can be snatched away from you and you may be the one in need of someone to care.

The two greatest gifts that we are given and have to give are love and time. I challenge everyone to remember to give freely of those things now while you can. Don't wait for tomorrow because it may never come. It amazes me that a person will work for hours to earn the money to buy a special gift for someone but won't spend a fraction of that time just being with that person. Time is the one gift that we can give that none other can compare to.

Look around you at your family or neighbors or members of your church. Everyone knows someone who is either alone or in some kind of pain be it emotional or physical. Reach out to that person. If you can give them a hug or a pat on the arm. If you can't do that call them and say hello or Merry Christmas or drop them a card saying that you are thinking about them. One minute of time that is all it will take to give the most precious of gifts. You will find when you do that there is a gift for you too. You will once again learn the real reason for Christmas and the the joy of giving from the heart. If we can all do that then there will never be a time that Christ is gone from Christmas or God is gone from our world.

From the bottom of my heart I wish everyone a peaceful and meaningful Christmas. Lillian

I agree with everything you said except for the first thing: without Christ there wouldn't be Christmas. That is simply not the case. Every culture ever developed has had a mid-winter holiday right about this time to celebrate the days finally getting longer after months and months of them getting shorter. The reason Christmas is December 25 is that the Christians adopted the birthday of the sun god from Roman paganism. So if there had never been Jesus, we wouldn't be calling it Christmas, but there would be some holiday coming up in a couple of weeks, and we would be expected to put up lights in honor of whatever celebration that had developed instead.

And so I wonder whether the message of the incarnation might actually be better off becoming disassociated with the materialistic bacchanalia that Christmas has become. The best thing to do would be to make this whole enterprise more spiritual, but when was the last time something became more spiritual in America? Maybe we should split them up not to defend Christmas from Jesus, but to protect Jesus from Christmas.

I was always a radical.

Curtis

Wow :!: I didn't write this to start a controversy. On the contrary I want people to be nicer to eachother and not judge without considering what may lay behind a person's behavior. I can not help but wonder how much better the world would be if more people would only follow the golden rule "do onto others as you would have them do onto you". My point is that there are many people in need right now. Not only financial need but emotional need. This is a very hard time of year for many of us, myself encluded. :cry:

I really don't want to discuss politics because I have my own views that may not be the most popular. Sense we are going there I will only say a couple of things about that. First of all I resent anyone telling me that I am not moral or a good christian just because I disagree with someones politial policies. I also take offence when anyone suggests that I do not support our soldiers because I don't believe in the war. My son was in the first Gulf War. I didn't approve then any more than I do now. It didn't mean then any more than it does now that I do not support the troops. They are doing what they are told to do. Many believe whole heartidly in what they are doing. I support them 100% but I hate war and killing for any reason. Moral values are great when they are consistant and morality is not mistaken for predudice. Singling out any group of people and treating them like they do not count or that because they are different they don't deserve to be treated like the rest of us is something that I find very immoral. Desiding who is best to run our country based on one issue that is based more on that prejudice that morality is like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Our country is not perfect. Our elections are not fool proof but it is the best that we have and I sure wouldn't trade it for any other. As for the reason for Christmas I prefer to believe that it is the birthday of Christ, a Christ who died for our sins, not because he thought we should be perfect but because he knew that we would never be perfect.

So once again I say try to do something nice for someone. Make someone feel like they are still an important part of life. Life is too short and too precious to waste always seeking what is wrong with life. Every minute should be spent finding what is right with life and people. I thought that of all people those of us here would know that the best.

Merry Christmas and God bless you both. Lillian

Lillian,

Thanks so much for your thought provoking words. I too, celebrate Christmas as the day of Christ birth and have included this thinking throughout all of the years of celebrating Christmas with my husband and daughter. I wouldn't have it any other way. Blessings to you and yours this holiday season.

Jean

Lily,

Thank you for the Christmas wishes and a reminder to all of us to slow down and be kind to others. In all the hustle and bustle, we need to remember that many people have things going on that we aren't aware of.

Don't worry about taking Christ out of Christmas. It will never happen. It is what it is. Christians know that Dec. 25 isn't Christ's birthday, but it's the day we choose to celebrate since nobody knows the exact date of His birth. And history also is what it is - it's HISTORY! LOL!

And a little side note: Since Christ is the Savior, he doesn't need saving from anything.

Merry Christmas, Lily!!!

Love,

Peggy

Curtis is right the holiday was originally a pagan holiday (Sun God), and the church (catholic) decided to use the season as a way to celebrate Christs birth.

My recollection is that Christ Jesus was born in the spring (based on when Roman census was done at that time in history)

There are many secular customs around Christmas today... and it has become very materialistic, however, it is a tim e that some reflect on the birth of our Lord and savior... and that is a good thing. :)

Joe

I want to thank everyone for their responses. I have an experience I want to share that shows what I mean about getting back what you give.

I have really been having to struggle lately, emotionally because of the aniversary of Johnny's death and being away from my familyduring the holidays. I also struggle to make a living and quite frankly I have not been succeeding very well with either. I work hard and pass out at night but the pain never really goes away. I barely make enough money to pay my bills and sometimes I don't quite make it like this month.

There is one lady that I work for once every two weeks. It is just a two hour job that I started when I was working in town. I have to drive 30 miles to her house and on the day I go for her I miss at least half a days work here. Because of the time and distance as well as the price of gas I am actually losing money when I work for her. Because I like her so much and see a need in her I chose to continue. I save everything I need to do in town for that day and that keeps me from having to go another day. It all seems to work out alright.

Yesterday was not the best of days for me. I was lonely and worried about money. One of the companies I work for may have a job for me this weekend. I was wondering if I got the job how I would buy gas for the drive for that 3 days. I was also upset because the signs that I have gotten from Johnny seemed to have stopped.

I was in her bedroom making her bed when I heard a rooster crow :!: That is one of the signs I had asked Johnny for when I left Washington to let me know that he is with me. I have been at her house every two weeks for the past 3 months and never knew that one of her neighbors has a pet rooster! That really boosted my spirits but I was not done with surprises.

As I was leaving she handed me a Christmas card. When I opened it there was a $20 bill inside :!: Sense the work I do for her is never as hard as some of my other jobs I felt guilty about taking it. She informed me that she looks forward to my time with her and I have made a difference in her life. She has kids but no one who really understands what it is like to be alone after loosing her husband. We share a bond that has led to a friendship that I treasure.

I have several clients and they all share on thing. They need help with their house work and someone to spend time with them. If I could I would do it without pay but I am just not able to do that so I try to give just a little more. In the process these people who sometimes feel like they don't deserve anything better start to feel that they do.

Life is just so short and their are so many people who are alone or ill. So many people who get so low that they start to feel like life has given up on them so why bother. We have to look out for these people because someday we may have the same needs they do. Despite the fact that I can't do as much as I used to without being exhausted I am fortunate that I am still able to work. Even without my financial worries if I couldn't work I would just want to lay down and die. By making these people feel like they are worth the effort I in turn feel like I have a purpose and that gives me what I need to face each day.

In the end we always get what we give. Life is not perfect nor are people. Some people are very hard to give to but we just can't give up on them :!:

Now I have to get ready for work. I wish all of you a pleasant day. Lillian