Update on Blood infection...

MelanieLR

Hi all,

Thanks for all the info. The onc. said so far nothing is growing in the blood cultures but we won't know for sure till Fri. He wanted to put me on the same antibiotic that he has put me on twice since this mess started. I told him that this obviously isn't the correct antibiotic since 2 rounds on it haven't helped, I've just gotten worse. He said OK, just call me on Friday. I'm so incredibly angry right now, I just don't know what to do. I really feel like I've been brushed off. Am I supposed to continue to feel like crud till Fri.? I'm running a fever between 100 & 101, all I've eaten in about a week is a couple of crackers a day & sometimes even those come right back up. And what if nothing grows in the cultures by Friday? Does he intend to just leave me like this?

Thanks for letting me vent,

Melanie

Melanie,

When you are going through chemo, your white blood cell count goes very low and you are prone to any type of infection hanging around. When I was on chemo, I started running a fever in the middle of the night. It went up to about 102 and then went down to about 100 pretty quickly, so we decided to just wait and call the dr. in the morning. Boy did I get the finger pointed at me! They told us how important it is to get to the hospital immediately when your temp goes above 100.5 and sent us to the ER at MD Anderson anyway. I was put on 2 broad spectrum antibiotics and had to return to the hospital every day for 10 days for them to check my blood counts. On one occassion, they admitted me due to neutropenic fever. I was in the hospital for 3 days. No fun, but I got hooked to those IV antibiotics and it did the trick.

Please, if your doctor doesn't seem too concerned, call your ER department and see if they should see you.

TAnn

Melanie

PLease listen to Tann, although my mom never ran a fever during her treatment, that was the most important thing we were told to watch for, and should she ever get a fever over 100 to get to the doc or ER immediatly. A fever during this time is nothing to sit around and watch. It worries me also that you have not responded to the antibitoic and your doc has not tried another, I really think a trip to the ER might be worth it, at least maybe it would ease your mind.

Please keep us posted and you are in my thought and prayers

Kim

Melanie,

Whenever my temp went over 100 I was told to notify the Dr. right away. Fever is a sign of infection and needs to be looked at. If it goes past 100 I would go to the ER just to be on the safe side. Also, I drank alot of ensure when I couldn't eat and that helped to keep me strong. Thinking of you and hoping for the best.

Joanie

Ditto on the contact the doctor over the temperature advice. My doctor was pretty firm in that and I put it off too long and ended up back in the hospital pretty sick.

Take care of yourself, go to the ER when this happens, it's nothing to mess around with.

Kathy

This past year I had a major infection that got into my blood stream from the dentist. It turned out to be strep and they knew fairly quickly from the culture. It was under 48 hours anyway. I am sure differnt bugs take a longer time. My dr. explained that it is possible a culture won't even catch the bacteria that is why they do several to up the chances of getting a sample of it.

I don't think its doing you any good to let the stuff keep growing. I think you should either call your GP for something or go to the ER. Infections are nasty business and you could go septic if he keeps fooling around.

Melanie,

I just wanted to ditto everyone else. Don't take chances with infection. Fever is a danger sign. I know you may not want to hear this , but it may well be one that requires iv's in the hospital to take care of. The good news is that it will probably work if that's what is needed. Take care and don't hesitate to get help you have confidence in.

sue

Melanie-

TAnn is right! I developed a fever around 11pm and called the doctor, they called in an antibiotic by 8am the next morning I was being carted away in an ambulance and spent 5 days in the hospital, running a fever 4 of thoughs days.

Don't let him put you off, just go to the ER, then it has to be addressed immediately.