Bob's wife Jo has a question..

NellW

Good morning! Jo just called and asked if I would post her question. She is concerned about all the meds Bob is on getting mixed up.

I think he is still managing his own, and yesterday the onc added Neurotin and Zometa ( of course the Zometa is not a prob ). She just thinks there are so many things he is taking and at different times, so she wondered if anyone would have an idea on how to keep them organized so no mistakes are made??

He is on duragesic patches, dilaudid, motrin, neurotin, zometa, and all his regular meds besides.

She thinks due to all the stuff he is on he is getting very drifty. I noticed last Saturday that he is somewhat confused at times, and wonder if he should not be administering them to himself right now. Feedback is needed!! Don't know what we would do without all of you!

Thanks

Love

Nell

Nell (and Jo),

When I was taking lots of pills that had directions of "take with food or milk" and "take on empty stomach", I used one of my son's spiral bound notebooks to write out a daily schedule. I listed a timeline of when things needed to be taken, when I could eat (and couldn't) and had room left to write possible side effects on. When I took a drug, I placed a checkmark next to it in the notebook so I KNEW I took it (my brain was/is drifty and I was never sure if I didn't mark it). One page per day...

Becky

Nell

I have taken care of moms med since this all began. I have one of tose weekly pill reminders and once a week i go and fill it up. Mom takes 17 different pills a day and it does get confusing. When I am doing her meds for the week, everyone including her knows to keep quit. One little mistake could be costly. This helps her tremendously as she doesnt worry about it. I also take care of all refills too. All she is required to do is remember to take them. She is funny though if she does forget any during the week, she just leaves them in the container and I know what she missed. If it were me I would probaly get rid of the evidence.

I would think it would be safer at this point for someone to help Bob manage his meds.

God Bless

Kim

We use the wheel-saucer method. I fill the day wheel once a week with all the medications. The night before, I sort out the morning meds and put them in a saucer by the wheel. When Lucie takes the morning meds, I immediately put out the evening ones onthe saucer, etc. That way, we know where we are. Good luck to Jo. Don

Like Katie, I used the envelope method. I would put the date and the time to take the pills on each envelope. I also agree with Katie that maybe someone else should be managing the meds. Some of the pain meds that Dennis would take would make him a little "loopy" and I'm not sure how clear he was some of the time.

Just a suggestion, I always had my meds filled at the same pharmacy.

That way the pharmacist knew what I was taking. Anything new added, pharmacist always asks me, are you still taling this and that (other meds)Want to make sure ALL meds taken are compatable. Ask the pharmacist to help you. This is just an idea, not ruling out others ideas. Whatever works for you. Good luck and prayers. Please share any new ideas. Thanks!

God Bless,

Karen