Finding my mom....

Carolsdaughter

Have anyone who has lost a loved one been somewhere where they saw some who looked very much like the loved one they had lost? This happened to me this weekend.

I was at Costco with my husband and son. We had just grabbed a hotdog and drink and sat down. It was Saturday, and Costco was very busy. I had seen a woman who looked very much like my mom and she was buzzing around the store and an electric shopping cart with her husband in tow. I looked at her without starring and thought gee, she sure reminds me of my mom. Later while we ate our hotdogs, she was sitting in her shopping cart right in front of us and I said to my husband, "Do you ever see anybody who reminds you of mom?" He said yes, right in front of you. I just watched that lady while I ate. She was playing with her teeth and she didn't even notice me watching her. Some of her friends came by and she talked to them and still she reminded me of mom in how cute she was. When my husband had finished eating he asked me if I was ready to go and I said, "No, I can't leave her" with a crack in my voice. A few minutes I said "I am ready" and stood to throw away the garbage. As I walked past her, she looked right at me and I smiled at her. I threw away the garbage and after I walked past her I said goodbye with out looking back. I smiled at my son and husband and my son said "did you just say good-bye to her?" I just kept walking and said "Yes, I did."

It sounds a bit kooky :wink: I know but I couldn't help myself. I think it would have been strange if I had actually said something to her besides a smile to a stranger.

Has this happened to anyone else before?

This has also happened to me. I am very active in the VFW. My Dad was a vet and I try and do a lot of things to help other vets in his honor. A man that belongs to our Post bears a striking resembelence to my Dennis. His name is also Dennis. He is a new member and has only been around for a few months. My best friend actually met him before I did. She finally told how much he looked (and acted) like my Dennis. He was so intrigued that he asked my friend to bring a picture to a meeting. She did and he and his wife were both totally blown away at the resembelence. He asked my friend if she would introduce him to me, so she did. I can tell you that was a strange moment for all of us. He must have felt some connection after seeing that picture and realizing how much alike the two of them looked. I'm getting more accustomed to looking up and seeing him walk through the door but it still always catches me off guard and I feel myself jump.

This happened once when I went in for some lab work. My hemotologist doctor works in oncology also. There are always things there with patients that remind me of mom, because their fight is so similar. But one afternoon in particular a woman walked out with a dark shirt on that looked *exactly* like my mom. It totally took my breath.

It was shocking, but a nice reminder of her.

:)

My mom called one day just freaked out cuz the plumber looked just like Robert. She was beside herself. She said she would take me to him so I could see. I politely passed!

Then one night, Alex and I were Hometown Buffet (gross) and there was a guy similar to Robert - wearing an almost idential leather coat. I just stared and stared. Course, he wasn't as cute as my Robert but it was good to see.

I have had that experience, too. I remember one occasion at a Luby's seeing a woman who looked like my mom and was even dressed like Mom would dress. That was 8 or 9 years ago, and I still remember the warmth and affection I felt for that woman. I had to resist the urge to walk over and hug her.

All in all, it was a pleasant experience. It reminded me how special and wonderful Mom was and how blessed I was to be her daughter.

Pam

I was driving pastthe church where my Grandparents are buried. I glanced over at the steps leading up to the memorial garden and there was a man sitting there.......he looked just like my Grandfather who had been dead for 8yrs. It freaked me out, I almost wrecked the car. I was so upset by the hole thing I had to pull over.

Wish I had stopped and tried to talk to him! Wonder what would have happened.

Strange!