Nicolas finally had a good cry....

kim

Last night I was doing dishes while my son Nicolas was filling out his Valentine cards, (Yes already, he's in kindergarten). He went to a drawer looking for something to write with and came across a sand dollar in a plastic baggie and was so excited. I saw it and told him that it was the one his grandma Net brought back from Florida for him the last time she was there. She found it on a beach in Naples and saved it for him. It's not cleaned up and shinny or anything, it looks just the way it did when she found it. Nicolas looked at it for a few minutes very quiet, and then he started to cry. Just cry uncontrollably about how unfair he thought it was that he didn't have his grandma Net to tell him about his shell again, and how much he missed her. Need less to say, I cried right along with him and we sat there at the table and held on to each other for dear life. He just wants to talk to her again, and I told him he can talk to her anytime he wants to, but he won't be able to hear the answer, but if he tried real hard he might be able to feel the answer. And he said ," In my heart, right mom.?" And I said exactly! I told him she will always watch over us until it is our time to go home and that I bet the first person waiting for us on the other side will be Grandma Net with a big hug that will last forever. We then wiped our tears and hung up the little, dirty sand dollar in it's plastic baggie for all the world to see, so that, according to Nicolas, we can look at it and always know she's watching over us. Sometimes I forget he's only 6.

What a very sweet story, Kim. It sure brought tears to my eyes. The little ones are so sensitive but sometimes have a hard time understanding and expressing their grief. It sounds like a good talk and a big old cry was just what the doctor ordered for both of you. I love the fact that you hung the sand dollar up. That is a way of telling him that it's OK to think of his Grandma and also asssure him that she will always be with him!! You're such a great mom! Hope you felt better after the cry. I always feel better after I cry and let a lot of things go!

Kim -

Thank you for sharing this story. My MIL passed away right after my youngest turned 4, almost 2 1/2 yr ago and since then we have lost both great grandfathers. For a long time she was only able to express herself through anger and finally this past Christmas we went and visited my hubby's grandmothers and right before we left Abby had complete meltdown crying and crying and finally she said she was sad because she missed her Nonna and seeing Memaw (Nonna's Mother) mad her even more sad because she was all alone and then she just let it all out again. We talked and talked and finally she gave my husband a big hug and said I'm sorry you don't have a mom anymore :cry: but ever since then she has been able to talk about her and the things she remembers. I am glad Nicolas was able to get it out so soon - he sounds like a great kid with an awesome Mom!!

Much Love,

Amy

Thanks everyone. It did help to cry. I didn't realize how much I needed it till it was over. I feel like sometimes I'm the one who has to keep it together for everyone else, but with Nicolas and Connor I can cry, laugh, or be just plain silly with them and it's okay because to them that's just mommy. Not a grown up, not a friend even, just mom.

Kim,

There is ALOT to be said for having a good cry. I'm glad that you were able to share one with your son and I'm glad that is seemed to help. I agree with Peggy, you are doing a great job Mom!

Love and prayers,

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Kim for sharing that, that was so emotional and what a wonderful son to have so much love for his grandmom.

They must have really had a special relationship that he will treasure along with that shell, in his heart forever.

Maryanne