Alimta Instead of Tarceva - CharlieD Update

CharlieD

Hey Gang - A quick update on my somewhat confusing situation. Stopped Tarceva 1/01/05 due to serious side effects. Docs decided to wait till Angioplasty completion to consider further treatment. Angioplasty done with no problems 1/14/05. CT Scan 1/20/05 to determine where we are. Results mainly stable with possible slight increase in fluid in Plerual Effusion. Docs at Roswell Park decided on Alimta instead of Tarceva to treat the Pleural Effusion, I guess. Ordered thoracentsis to find out what type fluid present. Xray showed no fluid to extract. HUH? What up with that? Where'd it go? Discussed it at length this AM with RP Doc and they decided it was not a bad thing so we will go on Alimta as scheduled 2/10/05. I think I would really be concerned if I felt bad, but I feel great. Walked 2 miles this AM with no problem and very little shortness of breath. Not really looking forward to going back on Chemo, but if that is what it takes, bring it on. Haven't really heard or read much on Alimta. Anyone out there have any experience with it? HANGIN TOUGH!

CharlieD

Charlie,

I'm impressed with your walking. Keep it up if you can. Alimta is suppose to be a really good chemo. Lots of success stories. Side effects are a rash and fatigue. My Charlie had both of those. However, it didn't work for him. Everybody is different. Just wish we had a better way than trial and error, so to speak. I will be praying for NED. Good luck and take care.

Charlie,

Wow, walking 2 miles, now that is awesome. My mom started Alimta 2 1/2 weeks ago. She has a rash on her face, which she is constantly placing Eucerin cream on. That is about the only side effect. Now, one week after the treatment, they did check her white blood count and it was very low (.9), so they gave her 3 Neulasta shots and it came right back up. She will have her second treatment in about a week. Let's pray it works for you both. As far as the actual treatment, the pre-meds took about a half hour and the chemo even less, about 15 minutes. Now, that is something worth smiling about. Take care!

Charlie,

Well, like you told me, stable is goooood. And a bonus, your fluid is gone! That is a very good thing. That's why you weren't short of breath on your walk this morning. I've heard that Alitma is good and works for many people and doesn't take too long to get.

Hoping you don't have any bad side effects and that Alitma is your majic chemo. Let us know how you are doing.

TAnn

Hi Charlie,

I just wanted to let you know that my husband, Mike, has been on Alimta since Dec. 6th. He has had a total of 3 treatments, given once every three weeks. He has had a slight rash, but the treatment for that is steroids. He has been somewhat fatigued and requires naps on most days , but overall he has done well. He got a scan on Feb 2nd and we will get the results on Monday, the 7th. I will post these on the board for test results to benefit all. If you have any other questions that you think I may be able to answer for you , feel free to email me.. My best to you.

sue

Hi Charlie,

Glad to hear the word "stable" and that the pleural effusion disappeared. That is fantastic!

There have been a few here that have been given Alimta. It's relatively new, but I understand that it is supposed to be as effective as Taxotere without the bad side effects.

Let us know how you do with it. I think many of us are interested in hearing results from Alimta. I know that my husband's onc has already said that if the Iressa quits, it's Alimta next!

Prayers for you,

Peggy