I'm new here

Guest hound55

Guest hound55

My beloved 62 year old husband has just been diagnosed with Stagve IV nsclc. At this point, that's all we know. The Onc. says surgery and radiation are out of the question. Only Chemo. Dick feels fine otherwise; started with a cough that worsened. He was a long time smoker. We are sending records to M.D. Anderson today. Still waiting for the local Onc to call back and answer some of the questions we have. I'm still not quite sure of the Stage IV diagnosis as I don't believe it has spread. There seemed to be some difference between the CAT Scan and the PET scan. I pray he will be able to get some treatment. The only thing I know is that it is contained to one lung and a lymph node. Surgery is apparently too risky as one of the tumors is close to his aorta. If anyone has anything to share, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks - Cheryl

wife of Dick

diagnosed Stage IV nsclc 6/13/03

This may be a posiblility. We have seen it before. I myself had to have chemo and radiation to shrink the tumor before they did surgery, it was up near the nerves and blood vessels in the apex of my lung. Keep us posted.

CHERYL,

IT WILL PROBABLY GET WORSE BEFORE IT GETS BETTER. YOU AND YOUR HUSBAND WILL GO THROUGH SOME VERY HARD TIMES BUT JUST REMEMBER, IT DOES GET BETTER ALONG THE WAY. ENJOY WHATEVER TIME YOU HAVE TOGETHER FROM NOW UNTIL GOD CALLS. WHO KNOWS, THAT COULD BE 20 YEARS FROM NOW. NO ONE KNOWS, ONLY GOD. DON'T DWELL ON WHAT MIGHT BE. IT TAKES A LOT OF HORRIBLE ENERGY THAT YOU DON'T WANT TO WASTE. TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF TOO.....

Cheryl,

Yes, I was told the same thing. "Your tumor is too close to the vertebrae, and may have gone into them." "This tumor is wrapped around your subclavian artery." These words were said to me AFTER I had chemo & radiation. They were also said by the surgeon.

I felt fine! No symptoms to back up these dire prophecies. With the support of my rad-onc, I INSISTED on surgery! And as they say, "It all came out fine."

If your husband has no symptoms, find an excellent thoracic surgeon that can work around a major blood vessel. I think the skill of my surgeon was ultimately the reason why I survived. It is VERY tricky surgery. Surely, MD Anderson will have just the expert your husband needs.

Fight for your husband's survival. Be a pest! Demand the best that there is!