I am new here and need advice on Mom's diagnosis and tx

Jessica

This board is the answer to my prayers. My mom 69 was dx with non small cell adenocarcinoma and had a left pneumonectomy 3/16. With 13 out of 17 lymph nodes involved closest and on the side of the tumor. The rest are clean and the surgeon was able to get the whole 4cm x 4cm x 3cm out with clean margins. After surgery a bone scan was done with a spot on the right hip, a Ct scan of right hip showed some lucency and lytic changes. The hip bone was moth like and had a small pathological fracture. What I need to know is a Ct scan of the bone a diagnostic tool in diagnosing mets. And is it true that non-small adenocarcinomas respond poorly to chemo? And any advice on treatments or thoughts would be warmly welcomed. My mother has no other health problems other than hypertension (on meds) she is very active and still works fulltime(currently on medical leave but chomping at the bit to go back). She runs circles around me, laying floors and laying ceramic tiles and in her spare time likes to garden.

This board is the answer to my prayers. My mom 69 was dx with non small cell adenocarcinoma and had a left pneumonectomy 3/16. With 13 out of 17 lymph nodes involved closest and on the side of the tumor. The rest are clean and the surgeon was able to get the whole 4cm x 4cm x 3cm out with clean margins. After surgery a bone scan was done with a spot on the right hip, a Ct scan of right hip showed some lucency and lytic changes. The hip bone was moth like and had a small pathological fracture. What I need to know is a Ct scan of the bone a diagnostic tool in diagnosing mets. And is it true that non-small adenocarcinomas respond poorly to chemo? And any advice on treatments or thoughts would be warmly welcomed. My mother has no other health problems other than hypertension (on meds) she is very active and still works fulltime(currently on medical leave but chomping at the bit to go back). She runs circles around me, laying floors and laying ceramic tiles and in her spare time likes to garden.

Hey jabberpoo..

I had to chuckle at your add on... if you had been around here very long, you would know that we are all like you as far as statistics go! We don't like 'em and it looks like you will fit in nicely with the rest of us who think this way.

I have stage 111B NSCLC too...more squamous likely than anything else. I had radiation and chemo. I don't know about the adeno and chemo..someone else will be along to help out with that. But, what is the treatment plan for your mom? Glad that she was a surgical candidate.

Also, I should mention that there are very reputable oncologists and a nurse who will answer most any question that you put before them. There is a link at the sidof the page..."Ask the Experts" Read through the brief instructions and within a short period of time, one of those good people will have answered your questions.

Big welcome. I am glad that you are reseaching lc to find out the way to go. Your mom is lucky to have you on her side!

All the best to you and your Mom.

Cindi o'h

First want to say welcome. I had NSCLC and had chemo and radiation before surgery (and after). When they did surgery I asked about the tumor and they said all that was left was scar tissue. Now they even have more choices for chemo then 7 yrs ago. Wishing and praying all goes well. It is a good thing to have chemo after surgery those old stats say, increasing survival by killing any little stray cells that are too small to find on xray before they grow. I would advise your Mom to go for it! Keep us posted . Donna G

My husband had a suspicious "luminosity" on his hip on a CAT scan. It did not show up on the PET so they followed up with an MRI and apparently it is nothing. He also has adencarcinoma, R upper lobe. He responded very well to chemo, the tumor practically disappeared. The tumors in his liver did not respond and he had a liver resection. Hope your mom does well.

Karen H

My Mom has NSCLC/adeno as well...read my profile below as our mother are very similar except for that when they did her surgery they DID NOT get clean margins. My Mom opted not to have the chemo post surgery for personal reasons. She was originally stage 3B but has been restaged at 4, however, she has been on Iressa (again not choosing traditional chemo)for almost a year now and has tremendous sucess with alot of shrinkage and her primary tumor staying stable.

I think it is pretty common now to have a course of chemo to kill any of the micro cells that are hanging around - PM me if you have any questions and good luck to you and your Mom!!!

Much Love,

Amy

CT scans are used in diagnosing mets, particularly to the bones. NSCLC as a rule responds less well than SCLC, but I wouldn't say "poorly". SC grows more rapidly than NSC, so generally is more responsive to chemo. On the other hand, there are many more chemo protocols for NSC than for SC, so there you have it. My wife has NSCLC and has responded very well to two different chemos over the past 2 1/2 years. Each person is different, though. Good luck. Don

Sorry to hear about your mom. I too had my left lung removed and had LOTS of lymph nodes (21) positive. I did opt for chemo (Cisplatin/VP16 & Taxotere combo) and radiation. So far so good for me.

I cannot recommend a path since everyone is different, but I do want to wish you and your family strength in the days ahead.

Wendy

I know I speak for everyone when I say this site has been a miracle to all of our prayers!! I hope that all cancers have one just like it!!

My mom had clean margins too! The docs on Ask the Experts are awesome!! They respond so fast! YOu will get your questions answered by them or one of us who has been there.

God Bless!

So thankful your mom has such a sweet kid to help her out with information. Being informed is a key to treating cancer. This site is a great place to come for information. People share their own experiences and ways they have coped with problems they face in treatments. What a blessing it has been for all of us. Glad you found this site. keep us up on your mom. pammie