Recipes--please send!

Andrea

Hi. As many know, we are putting together a recipe book as a fundraiser for LCSC.

Please please send me your recipes, I am planning on counting what we have, see how we are doing, and very shortly I will be posting a deadline. You dont want to miss out seeing your name in print, do you? :shock::lol:

Thanks!

You can PM or e-mail me at andrea@lchelp.org (or my personal e-mail address that many of you have)

I have one more to send you. I called my mom and asked her to write down the recipe for my dad's homemade spaghetti sauce. Last weekend I sit down to type it up for you and I am reading it...and realize she's left out a major ingredient...WATER! So now I need to make it and figure out the amount of water...(ok really this story is just an excuse to bump you up). :wink:

Ry, I never put water in my gravy (sauce) we here in Philly call it gravy instead of spaghetti sauce, as gravy takes hours to make (around 3 hrs) and sauce comes from a jar.

Not saying thats right or wrong but that is how it is here in the Philly, especially South Philly area.

My father in law was one the oldest of 16 from South Phila, when he married my mother in law, she had to learn to make "gravy" which she passed on to me.

I can give Andrea the recepe but it would take up a couple of pages.

Only people in Philly could understand what Iam talking about.

Anyway, my gravy is thick and the only water I use is a little to smush around the can to get all the sauce out.

Hope that didn't sound to confusing, have to be from here to understand... :D

take care, :wink:

Maryanne

Ry, I use Tomato Paste, Tomato Sauce and Tomato Juice, but I only add a little water to clean the sauces out of the can's, it might be about a half cup worth of water. But, otherwise, I don't really add water either, other then to get ever drop of tomato out of the can's. :roll:

But, there are lots of recipes for Spagetti sauces, which I might add we just had for dinner tonight. :)

Andrea, I will send you a couple of recipes within the next two days for sure. You know, I may NOT have sent them either??!!! :roll:

Hugs,

con

I remember him making it as a kid and it seems he filled the small tomato paste cans with some water. I'll have to get back with her and ask her. It cooks 4-5 hours...it's an all day thing so I know its gonna need something as it cooks down anyway. It doesn't have tomato juice in it, she's got canned tomatoes and paste only.

Andrea,

I saw this from Uncle Doug on another thread and thought you might want to use it....my first time with posting a "quote", hope I'm doing this right!

As a Thank-you, I'm sending along a recipe for onion soup. I know, I know. But I'm sure that soon you'll be sharing it's love with others (usually, about an hour after you've eaten). It has certainly taught our family the meaning of togetherness under difficult circumstances. After all, feeding onion soup to an 84 year old can only be compared with serving chili to a baby. Confucious say . . . oh, never mind.

Uncle Doug

Creamy Onion Soup

Outback Restaurant

2 large sweet onions; sliced and quartered

2 Tbsp butter

¼ cup Wondra flour

1 14.5 oz can chicken broth

1 tsp sage

1 10.75 oz can French onion soup

1 10.75 oz can cream of celery soup

1 10.75 oz can cream of chicken soup

1 pint (16 oz) whipping cream (or ½ and ½)

1 8 oz pkg Colby/Monterey jack grated cheese

fresh ground pepper

Melt butter in large soup pot. Add onions and sauté over medium heat until soft and transparent. Add sage; stir. Add flour and stir until thoroughly mixed and roux is formed. Add chicken broth all at once and continue stirring until thick and bubbly. Add cream, pepper, French onion, celery and chicken soups; stir until mixed and heated through. Blend in cheese. Serve with croutons or crusty bread. Serves 6-8

I had this soup at the Outback restaurant one night at a company dinner. It was by far the best part of the meal. I searched the internet for a ‘copycat’ recipe, and although I found several, I developed this one as a quick and easy version. Tastes very close to the real thing!

Ya know, I thought the last time I had spaghetti at your house, Ry....that it tasted a little watery! :roll::wink:

My recipe calls for tomato sauce and a half can of water...but I substitute red wine for the water. As it cooks down a little....I add more wine! :D Adds great flavor to the sauce, and the alcohol cooks out anyway!

WATER??? :shock: Why bother if you've got wine? :wink:

Andrea....will you have a section in the book for hors d'oeuvres? I do have some good recipes...but let us know if you need....say salads more than main courses, or desserts or whatever. Or maybe it doesn't matter if you have more of one type of recipe than others...huh?

Sheesh...I gotta dig thru that recipe binder tomorrow. Will do so when I get home from doing bloodwork again.