confused about treatment

pamm

I am wondering if anyone has an answer to this: I have completed 6 rounds of chemo for SCLC, extensive, and dr. says no more b/c it doesn't seem to help. The tumor is almost gone, he said, and I will have CT scan in 3 months. Now I feel as tho I'm not doing anything for the fight. Any suggestions? Tks

Pamm, many here have had multi chemos. Read the profiles of other survivors with SCLC. You might consider getting a 2nd opinion.

Although, the dr. might just be saying that he wants you to take a chemo break, review the scans and then consider the next plan if needed.

I have completed 6 rounds of chemo for SCLC, extensive, and dr. says no more b/c it doesn't seem to help. The tumor is almost gone, he said, and I will have CT scan in 3 months.

I don't have SCLC so I really don't know how to answer this but I don't understand. If it is shrinking the tumor and it is almost gone, how can it not be working? I think I'd get a 2nd opinion.

I can only speak from my own experience. Look below to see the chemos I used the first year.

I did the normal 6 month course. Some studies have shown that doing more does not show any extra positive results. My onco tho said since it had worked so well and I was fairly healthy he wanted to do 3 more months. We did and I had a yr remission. It came back and I did 6 months of chemo plus radiation (there was only one tumor this time) and I have been without chemo since Aug 2003.

Cindy

Pamm, I was also given only 6 rounds of my first line chemo. I was told that more than that would be to toxic (cisplatin & etopiside) then came radiation. Didn't start that until like my last chemo. Kicked my biscuit! Good luck to you. You are on my list of prayers. Positive thoughts coming your way. Rachel