Update Sister DX NSCLC Now Bone Mets

pamlee1

Hi everyone. I don't post a lot but spend a lot of time reading all the posts and I've just gotten so much information from this board. You're an amazing group of people and with lots of Attitude!

I've posted before about my sister but things seem to be going downhill fast and I'm so worried that she cannot deal with all that's being put on her plate right now. As you'll see from her bio she completed first round of chemo with lots of tumor reduction and lymph reduction but at time of scans bone mets were discovered to her hip and T-11 spine. She has been in pain since March. The large bone in her thigh snapped requiring surgery to stabalize with pins, etc. Tumor in leg was removed and pin inserted to stabalize; While recuperating back pain started and increased so much she's just miserable. So dr's ordered more films and decided to radiate her spine which was done for 2 weeks. Apparently didn't work.

Met with ortho surgeon yesterday who ordered x-rays of spine and he thinks the T-11 vertabrae has collapsed and wants new mri and meeting w/spine surgeon. I'm just so depressed right now and afraid for her. I read and research constantly and frankly not reading too many positive things about what she's going thru now. I'm just wondering if anyone else out there has had similar problems? She had just finally gotten to the point where she could start chemo again and all I see now is that won't happen; more surgery, delays and cancer growth.

Sorry to be such a "downer" but it's been a rough few days for her and the family. It's just so hard to watch what lung cancer does to your loved ones; it's so unfair that more isn't done to help with earlier diagnosis so people have a better chance and hope. I even asked my dr. about getting a ct; he said insurance companies won't pay for them unless there is a reason to suspect a problem. Seems stupid to me to not do ct's early but for insurance companies to pay out the many thousands they do during this type of illness.

When we meet with the surgeon on Tuesday I'll be armed with questions. She needs some kind of fix to spine but I think she needs chemo just as much so there's just a real dilemma.

Thanks for listening; I just needed to vent a little.

God Bless all of you and keep up the fight.

Pam

Pam,

It is very difficult to watch someone you love in pain. I hope the dr. has a good solution for you.

What I don't understand is that insurance cos. not only pay for but encourage other tests for early detection such as pap tests and mammograms. Go figure.

Hi Pam,

I really can not help you with your question, but my heart goes out to your sister and her family. I feel so bad that she is in such pain.

Prayers going out to you all.

Maryanne

Guest spiritual

My partner is going through the same thing. She is scheduled for a CT scan tonight on her chest and brain.

The last CT scan the doctor told her it was a "mixed response" The tarceva is helping her primary tumor and showed improvement in the stomach, however new lesions were found on her spine (thoratax??, lumbar and around her neck) Now we know why she experiences numbness and pain in her right leg. she also experiences numbness to her right side of the face. She was put on methadone approx 2 weeks ago but the pain has decreased. Actually, her memory and her speech seems to be affected by the medicine. She has stopped the methadone for now as of yesterday to see if it was the methadone causing the confusion/memory lapses. We also stopped the Tarceva about 2 weeks ago. However, she may be going back on it since we don't think it was that medicine causing her the recent problems.

Hang in there because I too have to do the same!!!

Hi Pam,

I'm sorry to read of all that your sister is having to go through. While we haven't had to deal with the extremes that she has been bone mets, Ron did have a tumour on the spine that reacted positively to radiation. A "hot spot" was detected in a recent scan and plans were to treat him monthly with Aredia. However, when the pericardial effusion and pleural effusion occurred that was abandoned for now. He no longer has pain in the hip and has just completed his second treatment of taxotere. Aredia may or may not be something her doctors might consider since she's going to require surgery but I thought I'd throw it out to you.

Prayers are being sent your way with the hope that your sister and your family will get some good news.

Janet