surgery to remove right lung

bunny

can anyone share with me their experience, or loved one's experience, after having a lung removed? mom is 58 y.o., possibly developing asthma, not 'in shape' but otherwise healthy. I want to know what to expect in terms of how hard it will be for her with one lung. just one of the 800 things I am scared about right now. having a very hard time being positive today.

I am sure Frank, Bruce, Connie or Don M will be along to give you their first hand experience but I will tell that my Mom's surgery to remove her lung went well. She was in ICU for 3-4 days and then went home after 9 days. She was pretty sore for several months especially when she had to cough but overall her surgeon was VERY pleased. She is now 4 1/2 yrs out and is doing great!

From my perspective, it was a very scary surgery - I mean they are removing an entire major organ after all. She was at my house the day before the surgery after she had all her pre-op work done and when she left I cried until I almost puked, I was so upset. I wish I had known about this site then, I could have handled it much better having first hand accounts and the education.

Hang in there - it is scary but lots of people have had it done and have recovered nicely. PM me if you need to, I will help however I can!

Much Love to you!

Amy

Dear Bunny,

I would love to write to you about my story of being a one lunger, however, I am going to ask you to go to the My Story Forum and read those stories as well as mine. I have written my story a million times, and I gotta be honest, I'm kind of written out. :roll::wink: BUT it's on the MY STORY FORUM. So, are the rest of them.

Please take a minute and go check them out. We post them so others can learn and find hope and information from them on that form.

Good luck and I'm sure your mom will do just fine.

You would be shocked to know how many of us had only ONE LUNG and we're doing just FINE!

Best to you and your mom.

Hugs,

Connie

Bunny,having a lung removed is major surgery.But in my opinion surgery(if possible)is still the best bet of ridding cancer.

I was about 8 hours in OR & ICU before coming to.I was home from hospital in 5 days.Slept in a recliner for weeks as it hurt too bad to lay down in bed.I also suggest keeping a pillow handy to put under armpit when coughing.It really helps prevent pain.

On the upside,I was feeling & breathing better within a week or so.Was walking & going places in a couple weeks but at an easy pace.

Your mom will have to be patient tho cause it takes a long,long time before all pain and discomfort go away.She will need help doing lots of things.Tell her don't give up tho cause it is doable.

She will have to get used to what all of us call the new normal.It is at times a real nuisance but it sure does beat the alternative.

Hoping and wishing all the best for you and mom and family.

thank you amy, connie, frank and pammie. I really appreciate the replies, my personality is such that I am comforted by knowing what's coming, even if it's scary. my brother is happier no knowing, which is his way of dealing. I JUST got an email from mom that they have offered her an EARLIER surgery date, of 6/21 instead of 6/24. of course, we left it up to her 100% but part of me loves the idea of shortening this waiting period. on the other hand, I had a few things I wanted to do for her (take her to the beach, mani/pedi, just some happy, peaceful, pain free time together) which we may not get to do if we go for the earlier date. at any rate, I know she's in god's hands. I am calmer now, was in a real tizzy this morning. it seems like I wake up scared and slowly ease into it. by afternoon I am OK again, but then I wake up at 4:30 the next morning scared out of my wits. I don't think mom is half as scared as I am. anyway, thanks again.

xoxo bunny

Bunny,

Well, I see no reason you can't take her to the beach after her surgery! :D And you'll be able to do all the things you use to do with your mom, once she recovers.

Most important thing she can do, is get that cancer out as soon as possible. It's good news that they pushed up her surgery a few days. Sooner is better then later.

Please go and read the stories in the MY STORY FORUM. Read Mine, and David P. and Fay A. etc..

This surgery is NOT A CAKE WALK by NO MEANS, but it's doable. She will be in great pain after surgery for a while, (THANK GOD FOR PAIN MEDS). :wink: She will also be short of breath that may or may not change as time goes on, but most often she'll be fine. She'll need a pillow to hold tight. When she coughs after surgery (and they will make her cough) get her a small pillow to hold onto and press against her incession area. It's very helpful.

I was in the hospital 5 days after my left lung was removed. She may be in 5 days, 6 days, 7 days, No one can answer that. Everyone is different.

PLEASE PLEASE know that your mom can beat this! MANY OF US HAVE AND DO! You need to get positive in your way of thinking. And that too is sooner then later.

Good luck and keep us posted. If mom has questions let her know she can ask us through you. It's always helpful to hear from someone who has been there.

Best Wishes,

Connie

thanks, connie. I am working to adjust my thinking - it's not that I don't believe she won't get better, I do! it's just that, some days, my fear has a louder voice. SO last night, with a friend, I let it rip until it (my fear) developed laryngitis. :lol: so now, it's a little hoarse and the truth, the hope, the faith is getting louder. love to you,

xoxo

bunny

I'm coming into this a little late, as my mom is recovering from a lobectomy on Monday, however I had my right lung removed 2 1/2 years ago, also. As Connie said it is "doable". I also slept in the recliner for months, but took little pain med. and was on oxygen for several months. It was a long surgery, and I was in the hospital for about seven days, I think. God bless you and your mom -

I had my left lung removed in 2002. I also was in ICU for about 2 days but I got up and started walking on the second day in ICU so they kicked me out and sent me to a regular room. All total I was in about 5 days. After the first day or so the pain was manageable... it hurt for sure but the pain meds were great. :wink:

I went back to work the week after my surgery so try not to worry too much the first few days are really yucky and then it gets easier. A couple of things though: 1)Use that breathing thing they give you. you have to breath into it and make the little beads go up and down. It hurts at first and you can't do it real well. But it will really help strenghten your remaining lung. So make sure she uses it! 2) if you have an air mattress put it on the bed for her. I had 2 thorocotomys before my pneumonectomy and the hospital that I went to didn't have an air mattress and I definately had sore spots. i had my pneumonectomy at Fox Chase and they had this air mattress on my bed and it really, really helped me. Nothing pushes on the incision etc. It is a good investment if you can find one. 3) On a more yucky side..take the pain meds before the pain gets too great and increase the fiber or use some kind of laxative... those pain meds can really cause constipation and you don't want her to have a belly ache and a chest the hurts. NOT a fun combination!

Good luck to her... and honestly I would try to look at her surgery as a gift. A gift because it may be a way for her to ride herself of this beast forever!

you - and amy and frank and terri and david and connie and everyone - are 100% right. here's what I've decided. I am not quite to the place where I believe she'll be all right, but I believe that YOU GUYS believe, so I'm borrowing it. I am getting much more comfortable and positive. thanks again, you guys. you are truly god's gift to me these days.

xoxo

amie

Hi Bunny,

I am a little late also, but better late then never. I had my lung removed in 2003. In fact it was 2 years ago today. It was a rough surgery. I won't try to sugar coat the recovery. Everything the doctors told me to expect after surgery was Wrong...(GOOD THOUGH). I was told to expect life support tube to be in place, tubes in my side and to be in ICU when I woke up. Wrong I woke up in recover room proped up on one arm talking to the nurse that was going to become a mom in about 2 weeks. I only wonder what I might have said before I woke up. :roll: I had no tubes except IV and I went to a room not ICU. The surgon later told me I was fussing about being hungry in recovery. :lol:

The thought of removing a lung is scarey but like the others have said...It is doable.It was rough at first and I thought the doctors had killed me. The staples hurt more then anything.

Anyway, here is a run down. I went in hosp on Tuesday and they had me up walking on Wednesday. Boy did I want to be left along. I was ready to go home by Saturday but my surgeon wanted me to stay till Monday because I had small fever.

Here are some tips....

Take that pillow or Teddy Bear to put under the arm when your Mom coughs. Don't be afraid to cough. Get the junk out of the lung so it doesn't cause pneumonia. Use the spiramoter...the thing that you breath through. Walk as much as possible. Ask for the pain meds before the pain begins. Don't think you don't need then because there is no pain. It will come along shortly so ask before it does come.

At home, I did not sleep in recliner but on my side. I used pillows to prop my side on so as not to roll over. Actually I was to sore to move. I could not drive for several weeks. Once I got staples out, things started feeling better.

2 years later.... I am short of breath but not on oxygen. Bending hurts me a lot. I get winded and have to sit if exerting myself. Acid reflux....count on getting it.

Be looking for your post after the 24th for the results on the surgery. Good Luck to your mother.

PS: Another good advice comes from BobMC. Look for his post in the memberlist. PM me if I can help further.

Hi Bunny:

I’m late too. I had an upper left lobectomy in Jan 2004. In Feb 2005, I had the rest of my left lung removed..a pneumectomy. Recovery from the lobectomy was not too bad, so I thought I knew what to expect when I had the pneumectomy. But, I was surprised at how easily I got out of breath after the pneumectomy. When I sat up on the edge of the bed for the first time the day after surgery, I was out of breath. I never had this happen after my lobectomy. I was on oxygen for 3 weeks after the day of my pneumectony.

I had an epidural for pain. The anesthesiologist urged me to use the epidural. He told me that there are indications that those who use an epidural have fewer post op pain problems in the future. The epidural stays on for 3 days or so. Pain really wasn’t much of a problem for me as I recall. It was managed well. When I went home I took oxycontin until the pills were gone, and did not need any more after that. Now, at nearly 4 months after my penumectomy, I have no pain at my incision except for a sore spot where an old suture is working its way out.

One problem with the pain meds is constipation and not being able to urinate. I knew more what to expect the second time, so I asked for laxatives early. At the first operation, I had to wear a catheter home. I found out that I had a staph infection in my urinary tract. I went to an urologist and had it cleared up within a week. At the second operation, I had the catheter removed after the epidural was removed, about the third day. I still could not urinate, and I had to have the catheter reinserted (big ouch) to void my bladder. It was just a temporary insertion. After, my bladder was emptied, the catheter came out. Fortunately, after that, I was able to urinate on my own. I was most happy about that. I remember carrying containers full of urine to the bathroom and would brag to the nurses about how much I had peed. So, after my second operation, the only thing I still had attached to me when I went home was oxygen.

I have a little stiffness, but my range of motion is good. I did physical therapy after my lobectomy, but I did not do it this time. I don’t think I need it.

When I got home, I got used to sleeping on my good side. I just used a regular bed. I was able to do light housework in 2 weeks. I went back to work in 4 weeks. I rototilled the garden and mowed the lawn at 3 months. Today, I split a little wood.

It is real important to cough the gunk up from day one and to use the spirometer thingy. I started walking as soon as I could. At first it was hard for me, because I would get out of breath. When I got home, I walked every day, around the block, carrying my oxygen with me. After I got rid of the oxygen, I started walking a half-mile and soon was up to a mile a day. I still walk a mile a day. I can walk a mile comfortably in 17 minutes. I can do it in 15 minutes if I make my little short legs go as fast as they possibley can. I can go up and down a flight of stairs over and over again. I was disappointed a couple of weeks ago, when I went out in the woods and discovered that I could not walk uphill on very steep ground without stopping after 10 feet. I am still on chemo. I have one more round to go, and will finish at the end of June. My oncologist says that I should be able to do better out in the woods after I regain my stamina. He says it takes up to 8 months after chemo before you get all of your stamina back.

I was very grateful that I was able to have the operation. I am cancer free now, and did the chemo just to make sure. I did not do it after my first operation. I was stage 1 both times.

I still have a slight urge to dry cough. It is more pronounced when I bend over. It was really bad about a month ago, but is mostly gone now and manageable.

I have been told that a pneumectomy is the most major surgery you can have….piece of cake!, Well, doable at least.

thank you all so much for your help. I feel equipped to look after my mom after the surgery now. let me ask you all this - she will tell me not to, but that's no indication of what she may need. so I want to to know whether I should plan on staying with her when she comes home. if so, how long? I feel like I should plan on being there at least a week. they scared the heck out of my when they told me to stay with her after the FNB, in case her lung collapsed. is that a risk after the pneumectomy?

thanks again. I can't tell you how much the info a clear picture of what she's facing helps me.

xoxo

bunny

Hi Bunny--I think it depends on how well your Mother does with the surgery and how long she is in the hospital. I was in the hospital 9 days with my lobectomy (long story but there was a leak in the chest tube)---and I was fine when I got home. However, My sister, who just had surgery and was released after 6 days needed help. I think you should probably plan on being there for a few days.

Regards,

Yes you should stay with her. She isn't going to be up to doing much of anything at all for a couple of weeks. I was 43 years young at the time of my surgery and I had people stay with me for about 15 days after my surgery. And I came through my surgery in flying colors.

I know people that went home after surgery and stayed alone, and they have said, they wish they wouldn't have done that.

I found it hard to get up and down after surgery. Depending on where I sat or laid. It's not a getting out of a hospital bed when your sitting on the sofa, etc...

Well, that's my 2 cents worth, I suggest you stay with her for at least a couple of weeks and play it by ear from there. See how she does after surgery.

Best wishes and good luck to mom,

Connie

My wife stayed home from work for 2 days after I came home. This was to make sure I would be ok. After that she fixed my meals and I ate while she worked. Other then that I stayed by myself. I think you should stay as long as possible with her. A day...a week...whatever your schedule will allow. Play it by ear. I am sure she will do fine.

Another thing that has not been mentioned....Take care of yourself. I can tell you love your mom. Don't want to scare you but sometimes pneumonia follows lung surgery. Don't wear yourself out and not have energy should you need it later.

all right. good. I think I can swing it without taking too much time off from work - mom lives right outside the city. my brother will pitch in too, though it's harder for him b/c he's not as settled in his job. I have to say, my job did not blink when I told them I'd be coming and going throughout this process. what a blessing. beach was HEAVEN today, we had so much fun. giggled our tushies off (I wish!), and gave mom's right lung (and the cancer with it!) a great send-off!!

thanks again to everyone, I am 300% calmer about my ability to support my mom through this surgery.

xoxo

bunny/amie (you're right, don, it does mean friend :wink: )