Latest Scan - is there a norm?

UncleDoug

After 4 cycles of chemo with carboplatin and VP-16 I had my first CT scan to check for any changes. The result is a 40-50% reduction in size of my Adrenal tumor. I start my next cycle of chemo tomorrow.

My question is whether this reduction is normal or should I be hoping for a more substantive shrinkage? Is there such thing as a "normal" reaction to the chemotherapy after just a few cycles of infusion?

I would appreciate any information from someone who has been there, done that.

"Uncle" Doug Russell

Hi, UNCA,

We have no idea on a 'norm', but we rejoice in any shrinkage (other than the Seinfeld Rendition of Shrinkage).

It sounds like you are a poster child for how to weather chemo!! Keep it up, Doug, you are an inspiration and joy to us!!

Love

Pat and Brian

Shrinkage is always good...at least when the topic is cancer! :wink:

My onc did NO scans during my 6 cycles of carbo and VP-l6...maybe because he didn't want me asking him, "Is this normal?" :roll: At the end of the 6 cycles though...I was NED. For a while.

As you know, I'm now after it again with Topotecan and after 3 cycles, I was 50% reduced...but after 6 cycles....either stable OR slightly reduced. I have 4 liver tumors left...but my pancreas appears clean and at least a couple of the liver tumors were slightly smaller. BUT...my onc is happy w/ results and I feel good!

So...Uncle Dougie....take what you've gotten as a gift, AND good news and keep up the good attitude and your journaling. It's all good at this point and as others have said, we all respond differently...so "normal" is a pretty hard thing to determine from one person to the next.

And anyway, people like you and I may not have EVER been entirely normal - cancer or no cancer - ya know what I mean? :wink::lol: