Alimta a little rugged

bcbcbc

Hi Again--

Sorry I haven't been a steady correspondent.

The good news is that I've been feeling well during the brief holiday from radiation/meds. Busy trying to squeeze a little more juice out of this life of mine.

Last Tuesday--week ago today--I started Alimta encouraged by all the flack that it is supposed to be less toxic than other chemos. I was hoping for a soft ride--easy landing.

Not quite so. On Friday--three days after infusion--I took a hit. Fatigue. Mild nausea. Bloated feeling. Sporadic joint pains. Headache. SOB.

None of these side effects were as bad as the worst days on Gemzar/Carboplatin (usually days 3,4,5 after treatment). But they were enough to take the wind out of my sails--forced me to curtail some activities and plans.

With the other drugs the after-effects were usually gone by day 6. I'd be back in action with good energy.

That doesn't seem to be the case with Alimta. I'm still dragging *ss--fatigued mostly--still some joint pains--SOB on mild exertion.

I'm going in for a B-12 shot on Thursday and a look at the bloods. I suspect the reds may be down, which has happened in the past accompanied by SOB.

I don't like this low energy beat feeling.

Of course I realize I should count my blessings. There are a lot of folks out there getting a lot worse beating than I am.

Best wishes and regards to all...

BC,

It's been over a month since my last (6th) Alimta Treatment. I still have the fatigue and the SOB but they are getting gradually better. Walking about a mile a day now and doing what I can in the yard and garden and then rest. Sleep a lot which really helps, but I keep plugging away doing what I can and resting. Got a three month break and I'm determined to get back to where I was during that period. Hang tough.

CharlieD