brain radiation as precaution

Guest Jtate58

Guest Jtate58

I need some advise. My Dad is 73 years old has Non-small cell lung cancer. His was inoperable but was treated succesfully with chemo and radiation.He jus t went to his oncologist cat scan look good just alot of scar tissue. Which he has suffered nerve damage to his l eft side controled with occupational therapy and medications.His oncologist made a suggestion that my Dad go through radiation of the brain as a precaution.We meet this Thurs with his radiation oncologist to talk to him. My question is when he has had 2 normal brain scans and 2 normal PET scans why put him through more radiation. I know the connection with lung cancer and brain but I want to make sure this is the best for him .Any help or someone who has gone through it much appreciated .

Concerned Daughter

I haven't gone through radiation but I think its time to get a second opinion. I'm not sure, I'm not a doctor of course, but I have never heard of brain radiation as a precautionary measure, especially when the brain MRI's have been clear.

Maybe someone with more experience in this will have a different answer. I would go with my gut feeling though, when something doesn't seem right, it at least merits a second look.

Good luck!

Are you Sure you have a clear picture of your dad's dx's and treatment issues? Sometimes things aren't clear if your hearing them second hand. Do you go with your dad to his appointments?

IF your dad has Small Cell LC then YES, PCI IS offered to patients. Are you sure he has Non small cell or could he have both?

I am very happy to hear your dad's treatments put him into NED (No Evidence of Disease.)

Good luck and keep us posted.

Guest Jtate58
Are you Sure you have a clear picture of your dad's dx's and treatment issues? Sometimes things aren't clear if your hearing them second hand. Do you go with your dad to his appointments?

IF your dad has Small Cell LC then YES, PCI IS offered to patients. Are you sure he has Non small cell or could he have both?

I am very happy to hear your dad's treatments put him into NED (No Evidence of Disease.)

Good luck and keep us posted.

Yes I am sure I go toall my fathers doctor appointments and have a good understanding of his condition.

Guest Jtate58
Hi, :D Jtate58. When I talked to your sister , she was saying that they wanted your Father to participate in some sort of clinical trial, is that right?

Yes that is my understanding we see his radiologist oncologist on Thurs.

Yes, that is probably the clinical trial John's link was referring to to in his post above. It would seem from the article John linked to that PCI is not standard protocol in Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer at this time and still being studied only at the clinical trial phase.

I'm no expert at anything, but if it were my Dad, I would be very hesitant to put him through it, since he is doing so well (No Evidence of Disease) right now and there doesn't seem to be much data supporting its effectiveness at this point. Somebody, please correct me if I misinterpreted the abstract.

I bet your Dad and Mom are really glad to have you there at the appointments. It always helps to have as many extra sets of ears as possible.

Gina

I rarely give my opinion but in this case I feel like weighing in with my 2 cents. My husband had 13 brain mets and I refused whole brain radiation. We found a doctor who would do gamma knife. Your dad doesn't even have tumors so I don't get it. Whole brain radiation is associated with pretty nasty side effects that don't show up right away: confusion, tremors, paralysis, and so forth. That's a big risk for an unnecessary procedure. I would most certainly get another opinion.

Trish

Just FYI -- WBR and PCI are totally difference procedures. PCI is lower dosage and generally half or less the number of treatments than with WBR. It's a limited dose of radiation for prophylactic/preventive purposes, given primarily to small cell patients, although I have read that there are studies now with non-small cell patients. That, I know nothing about.

Just wanted to make sure that everyone is aware that WBR is NOT the same thing as PCI, or vice versa.

Di

My Sister had nsclc with met to brain (1 tumor only). Her onc recommended she do whole brain radiation followed by cyber-knife to the one tumor. The reasoning I got from that decision was to make sure any other mets to brain that were to small to be seen would be treated. I think I would get another opinion if there is nothing showing on scans.

Good luck. Pam

In my experience, if a patient is doing well and responds to chemo and radiation and shows no signs of brain trouble, then PCI 5% is a risky chance. Personally, my dr. didn't want it for me due to side effects and the fact that I was doing so well, and still am doing just fine without it. Please remember, everyone is different in this disease. I would highly recommend a second opinion before going ahead with PCI. I wish you the best. You might consider posting your message on the "ask the expert" forum as these doctors will give you an educated opinion on this issue.

Joanie