Need some encouragement

kimblanchard

We received the results of the CT scan and it is not good news. Not only is the taxol/carboplatin not working, the cancer has spread to the other lung. How is it possible to not have anything in one lung, and then two months later have a mass that is 2 1/2 centimeters??? Also, the oncologist put my husband on blood thinner (injections and pills) due to blood clots (pulmonary embolism I believe he said). How normal is this to happen???? My husband Bill is so discouraged and so am I. It seems the last two months of chemo have done nothing. So now we are going to repeat CT scans to the abdomen to check further spread, MRI to check the brain mets, and bone scans to check the bone mets. Can anyone offer any advice or encouragement? We are sitting here stunned, angry and depressed today.

Thanks for any help,

Peg

Peg,

So sorry to hear you received such rotten news - I'm sure better days are ahead. I'm afraid I don't have a whole lot of advice, kind of a novice here myself. I will keep you both in my prayers that there will be good news on the new scans.

I just try to keep in mind what I have read on these boards. The people here have so much to share, and their compassion knows no limits. Here you will find hope.

God bless you and your husband.

Terrie

Dear Peg,

I too am so very sorry to hear the Chemo Cocktail your hubby was on has not worked for him. Why it is that some chemo's work for some and not for others is baffling. I would go as far to say I'm sure the Onc. Doc's would like an answer to that as well! :( However, I would ask if they are considering another type of chemo reg. for him? How did your husband do on his first types of chemo? They might do a change of chemo if he did well. That's a very hard call for us to make what will or won't work for you. Lung Cancer is and can be a monster, with NO rhyme or reason's to WHY it does what it does. It's MADDENING, CONFUSING AND FRUSTRATING!!! To say the least!

Being on Blood thinners also is common. Your husbands lungs are weak and it's a good thing his doctor did this. Glad to hear he is on them.

I honestly wish I could give you some ray of sunshine here, but it's beyond my wildest dreams what his doctor's may suggest for him. But, like I said, they may try another Chemo. You may wish to suggest this at the next appointment.

As for how fast this crud can grow and where it can go, like you it just puts me in shock at times, how one minute it can be slow going and the next it's off and running. (so to speak)! Totally Mind Blowing!!!

I will keep you and your hubby in my thoughts and prayers. He still has options, so don't close the book just yet! Try hard to stay positive and keep the fight. God know's this is one HELL of a fight!! It's just another bump in the road!!

Warm and Gentle Hugs,

Guest sharon

so sorry for your news... I would encourage you to ask your doctor what his next "plan of action" is for your husband... You both must be rocked to the core at this point, but maybe with another choice of Chemo drugs you will see a great response... my prayers are with you. Love, Sharon

So so sorry Peg. I hate this crap! You didn't say if they were going to another chemo. Taxol/carbo did nothing for my husband either, he then went to taxotere (no good) then to gemzar (some success!). So take heart, maybe the next drug will be what his cells respond to. Hang in there and keep us posted.

Guest sharon
so sorry for your news... I would encourage you to ask your doctor what his next "plan of action" is for your husband... You both must be rocked to the core at this point, but maybe with another choice of Chemo drugs you will see a great response... my prayers are with you. Love, Sharon

Thanks to all who responded. We don't know what the oncologist will suggest yet. He wanted to consult with others first and is also talking clinical trial. We just don't know what he will suggest. And he gives us a choice - how on earth would we know what to do??

I am relieved to hear that blood thinners are normal though. That is one relief. Now just to get ready to know what will happen next. We will do anything at this point. My husband is just 52 years old and we have one 15 year old daughter.

Thanks for your prayers and for listening,

Peg

Peg-

I am so sorry to hear the Carbo/Taxol did not work. My husband Tim was dx'd with NSCLC 12/27/02 (we believe stage IIIB-he didn't want to know stage or prognosis- but he did have a pleural effusion which automatically makes it a IIIB- no mets) and just had his second Chemo treatment.

He is 54 years old and I know what you are going through. There are days when I don't think I can handle this any longer, but I know I have to stay positive for him. His treatment was Monday and he is really feeling crappy yesterday and today and I hate to see him this way...he can barely stay awake.

Never give up hope, because when they try something else, that may work wonders....if you need anything...feel free to email me- Kjewell600@aol.com.

(((HUGS)))

Kathy

Peg, I am sorry that this round of chemo didn't help, how many different combos have been tried? Have you asked about an Iressa trial? Chemo didn't help my dad either, although his cancer did grow very slowly, it DID grow. So, they started him on Iressa. We seem to believe that its working, as Dad feels so good and is no longer experiencing back pain (spine mets). Please try not to give up, as I see it-as the same thing happened to my dad, for the chemo not to work and for the cancer to have spread to the other lung-it hadn't spread anywhere else. Eventually Dad had brain mets, which we handled with Gamma Knife, but the cancer didn't spread anywhere else. Which is good, maybe it is slow growing enough. If he is not experiencing symptoms of further mets, that is also good. It is good that they're doing test to be sure there are no other mets. I have found that when we get news we're not thrilled with (like that Dads chemo was ineffective, it helped to reason and see the big picture. He still felt good, and there was asymptomatic of the lung mets (he got 2 more) or of any others for that matter. Also, now that you know that that particular chemo cocktail didn't work, you can move to the next type. Please try not to give up hope. How is your husband feeling, physically? Does he feel like a "sick" person, does he feel physically different, aside from the side effects of chemo. Please keep us updated, and when you need a sounding board, this is the place. Frustration and fear are normal, but when you let them take over-they can be dangerous. Take care, and keep us posted, you're in my prayers, Deb

Peg,

I'm so sorry for what you and your husband are going through. My 48 year old sister has Stage 4 NSCLC (dx 07-02). As you can imagine, she also has been through alot... and also has a teenage son (and a husband!). The best analogy she can describe is sometimes an oncologist visit feels like a bat was swung at the back of her knees and she is painfully laid out on the floor. After the "beating", she will cry awhile, then get up and face the news.

She has been through brain surgery, whole brain radiation, four months of chemotherapy, and is currently taking a chemo "break". She is, at this moment, doing a few alternative treatments, and will probably return to a different chemo "cocktail". Her cancer is growing too. One thing that has been helpful to her, and I know it may sound "farout", is acupuncture. Now, if you knew my sister, you'd know what a "conservative" person she is, but she has benefitted from acupuncture. NOT to treat the cancer, but to help ease the side effects of chemo and other medications.....

I urge you both not to give up hope. Prolonged hopelessness guarantees defeat. I am an LPC (counselor), and I firmly believe that the mind and body are closely intertwined. (Not that we aren't allowed to greive and to feel sorry for ourselves at times). Lung cancer is the scariest and fiercest disease to hit my family in my lifetime..... and I'll bet in yours too. Your husband is a lucky man to have you. I'll be praying for you both.

Oh, and I say "go for" a clinical trial if it sounds reasonable. Or Iressa. IF that is what your husband wants. That is what I will encourage my sister to do if and when those options are discussed with her, if and when she asks my opinion -- which she usually does. (We, her family, have learned to respect and support her decisions, because ultimately, the decisions belong to her). Stay strong, Peg.

Thanks again everyone.

The clinical trial that they are talking about is Iressa. We need to get Bill feeling well enough to make a 2 hour trip to Indianapolis to see about getting him started on this. After reading about the Expanded Access Program on their website I believe that my husband certainly qualifies. I have the names of 4 doctors to contact. I am also checking to see if I can find a doctor a little closer to home.

God bless all of you,

Peg