effusions turned to Goo

cindi o'h

Hey all...

I spent most of the day at the UofM yesterday waiting for scans. Either that, or I was doing them. I forgot how long it takes to do a PET/CT and a brain MRI. I didn't have my scans on the scheduled time. I was supposed to have them and then see the onc at 3 and the pulm. at 4. I was coming out of the tube at 3:40. So, we resched. onc. and I will wait to hear (unless I can con the nurse into giving me the scoop over the phone today!) :P

I did see my pulmonologist though. She was talking about my lung and how I make even a seasoned pulmonologist nervous. She said I have so many lung complications. Actually, that was helpful for me to hear, as I seem to expect more from myself than what I have. I look at all of ya'll who have gone through more than me who can walk trot and run and here I am crawling...???!

She said now I have a complicated loculated lung. The chylothorax that I had has turned into a "loculated effusion". It won't drain. I can't have surgery on it; the risks are too great. She said that the talc turned the chlye effusion to thick goo and it got stuck in separate pockets of walled off glue. They are squishing my lung and there is one narrow place where the air has a hard time getting through.

Ahhh whaddaya gonna do? Just live with it. I am still determined to get back as much of my umpf as I can. I start pulm. rehab on Thursday.. can't wait!

Will let you all know about the MRI and if there is any cancer anywhere. Not even thinking about it today. 8) Thanks to all of your prayers!

Cindi o'h

Cindi...just leave it to you to be very unique! Hope the rehab just works wonders for you! With the upbeat, positive attitude you have, I'm sure this will be yet another minor setback that you will kick in the butt!!! Hey gal...I'm here in your corner...always cheering you on!

Cindi,

It sounds like if anyone is going to have a problem with a condition its you. My goodness, how did that happen? Goo in your lungs? What a mess. No wonder you are still having so much trouble. Sounds like a lot more problems that just asthma. Praying that rehab fill help. I can't imagine not being able to breathe each time I do a thing.

Besides, that bar of yours needs some bartending and quick. These folks are thirsty and getting their own. What a mess. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Nina

Goo. Is that the technical term? :wink:

Leave it to you (or to me, also known for getting weird complications, generally speaking).

I just hope that rehab clears some of that goo out of your lungs so the breathing is easier. Whatever complaints I've had along the way, I consider myself very fortunate never to have had any real problem breathing. Only when my counts bottomed out, was I huffin' and puffin' up the stairs here at home...but otherwise, it has never been a lung issue.

Hit 'em with all you got, Cin....you're strong~!! I know you'll rehab yourself back to where breathing is much easier for you. We'll be vibing you all the way, for success!

Cindi,

Are you willing to go to a large comprehensive cancer center for evaluation on whether or not they can do something about the large gooey bubble in your pleura? I'm assuming the area in question is in the pleura space between the lung and the chest wall? That is where the talc goes, and where the seal is supposed to take place. I can see where having that area filled with anything-too much fluid or the goo you now have-would result in some shortness of breath. It wouldn't be a whole lot different than having a pleural effusion. Because I've known lots of folks over the years who had the the talk procedure, and in some cases it wasn't successful. They were able to have the areas redone. But these instances were all done at very large University and Comprehensive Cancer Medical Centers.

Just a thought...

Cindi,

Are you willing to go to a large comprehensive cancer center for evaluation on whether or not they can do something about the large gooey bubble in your pleura? I'm assuming the area in question is in the pleura space between the lung and the chest wall? That is where the talc goes, and where the seal is supposed to take place. I can see where having that area filled with anything-too much fluid or the goo you now have-would result in shortness of breath. It wouldn't be a whole lot different than having a pleural effusion. I've known lots of folks over the years who had the the talc procedure, and in some cases it wasn't successful. They were able to have the areas redone. But these instances were all done at very large University and Comprehensive Cancer Medical Centers.

Just a thought...