Getting to know you - November 28

Ann

When you were growing up, what was the biggest disagreement you ever had with your parents? Today, as an adult, would you still look at your side of the issue in the same way or side with your parents?

I guess I'll bite at this one. I seemed to go through a lot of years where I had lots of disagreements with my parents. Most of them were over the usual things...clothes, boys and especially how long I stayed on the telephone. I think the telephone was probably the major thing that caused te most disagreements. This will definitely age me, but can you believe that we were on a party line? We lived out in the hills of Tennesssee and I think in the beginning, we were on a four party line. You would just pick up the phone and hear other peoples conversations. I was never into eavesdropping, probably because there was nothing very "juicy" going on in my little town. I used to want to talk with all my friends for long periods of time but my mom was constantly reminding me that someone else might want to use the phone.

Today, I can definitely see my parents point of view but as a parent, I think there are so many worse things a child can be doing than chatting on the phone.

I would guess the biggest disagreement I had with my parents (and there were many) was the summer I was 17. My parents had just informed me the family was moving to Houston. I pretty much told them have a great life because I was just about to start my Senior year in high school and was only 4 months from my 18th birthday and I was not going with them. My parents were having major marital issues and probably should have divorced years before then, but they were hoping this move would help the marriage. Well my parents insisted I go to Houston with the family, I did, I turned 18 and moved right back to California on my own and finished high school with my friends. By May my parents were filing for divorce and my mom and sister moved back to California and my Dad and brother stayed in Texas.

Now I am not a parent so it is hard for me to truly say one way or another if I would be willing to leave my child behind, it would depend on if there was a family I trusted or an acutal family memeber they could live with.

They never encouraged me to go to college. To them women did not go to college.

Also, I remember being with my dad alone one time. I was about 7 and he took me to see Pinochio. That was the only time I spent alone with him. I wish there were more. I wish he had talks with me about things.

We made sure with our kids that we were with them so much growing up. And me and Joel took turns taking them special places each one alone, to make special memeories.

Maryanne

Debbie - I can relate.

I was 16 years old and my mother decided to get remarried....to a man that was moving to Chicago and had 5 kids! I had no choice but to go with her. She left my 18 year old brother behind with relatives, but she wouldn't leave me. I hated everything about my "new life" and about a month before I turned 18 I moved back to Maryland alone. I would never make my kids move far away after the age of 12. It was very tramatic, and she regrets it now. Plus, trying to blend two "grown" families together was impossible.

Boy this is a hard one. I can never remember having a disagreement with my dad. He was just there and he drank so he really took no part in raising me. I never really had a disagreement with my mom until later.

I was seventeen and had just been married for a few months. I was also pregnant. My husband got out of the navy and he made plans to move to Louisiana. Like a good little wife I never said a word just went along with the idea. I think maybe I thought it would be an adventure. My mom was heartbroken and she tried to get me to talk him into staying. I didn't listen. I look back now at all of the time spent away from my family and having to be seperated from my children and grandchildren just to get back home and I see how right Mama was. You know hindsight really is 20/20 :!: