cook books and crab dip

Geri

The recent thread about my crab dip shows us all the value of these community cookbooks.........that recipe came from a cookbook that the PTA in my daughters elementary school published.

It originated in Oakville, Ontario, Canada. It is also published in two cookbooks in Keller TX, and is now in ours.

My friend makes it in San Francisco, my SIL makes it in England and almost everyone that's eaten at my house in the last 20 years has tried it (and most now have the recipe) .

So, I'll thank Wendy Reynolds (whoever she is) for the recipe and will always wonder where she got it!

To everyone who hasn't yet bought their cookbook.......see what you're missing.

Geri

You know I am sure many of the recipes submitted have a similar history. The meatball recipe I sent came from my father-in-law but he got it from a woman off the internet. I make them for almost every party/shower/occasion we have here and take them as my dish to pass when we're invited somewhere. It's funny when I asked friends if they want to buy a cookbook the conversation usually goes:

Meatballs in there?

Yep.

Molly Hogans?

Yep.

Spaghetti Sauce?

Yep.

Sold.

(btw--last two are orginals, I've never seen them anywhere else before).

Now I am known not to really cook. I only started trying easy things recently. I think it is b/c I chose the path of being a neurotic anal student forever (which path I would not have taken again, but that is a different story). That left me no time for socialization or cooking.

I made the crab dip. People at my party last night were like "you made this?". I said "yes". It went over sooooooo well!!!! I TRIPLED the portion, and only have a little bit left. It was gobbled up an d I was soooooooo proud :) I kept saying "page 5 of my cookbook".

I now plan on tabbing and indexing more recipes to try so I can impress people again. There is nothing like being praised for something you made :):)

Hey Andrea-- I sold three cookbooks today! Sending you a check in the mail. Also I have some people that bought and paid cash and I am going to hold that till I sell more and do one paypal payment instead of a few small ones.

I know this could have been a PM but wanted to bump this up for more orders. :lol: Help Andrea rid her house of cookbooks for the New Year!

Good question, Ginny. I'm at work and my book is at home, so I can't check for you. This cookbook is great and is filled with so many wonderful and EASY recipes! Hey...did everyone catch the word EASY? That's a cook's best friend this time of year!

Since we're talking about food and recipes, I wanted to share a very easy and good candy recipe with all of you. This came from a gal on one of my craft MB's. I tried it and it is absolutely yummy!!!

Crock Pot Candy

from the kitchen of Nicki Zoda

(via Flylady.net)

1 - 1 lb jar of Lightly Salted Dry Roasted Peanuts

1 - 1 lb jar of Unsalted Dry Roasted Peanuts

1 - 12 oz. Pack Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips

1 - 12 oz. Pack White Chocolate Chips

1 - 1 lb pack of Vanilla Bark or Almond Bark

Directions: Pour peanuts into large Crock-pot; add chips and almond bark. Cover and turn on low setting. Now, go polish your car, or read a book. Come back in an hour or so. Stir with a large spoon; coating all the peanuts. Spoon onto waxed paper - whatever spoon size is appropriate for you - and let harden. Keep crock-pot on until all candy has been spooned out - no big rush. This is a generous recipe and you will have a gracious plenty. Keeps fresh in plastic bag or container, but don’t expect it to last very long because each morsel is filled with a wonderful taste of chocolate and is chock full of peanuts. Enjoy!

Suck a duck, the address is my address to order more cookbooks, but I did not think to add a section on how to donate to LCSC :( It has the LCSC website. And of course if I get donations they will go directly to LCSC. But thinking of it now, I should have maybe even made an insert about how to donate to LCSC to insert into the cookbook.

PS Ginny---I am getting some flack for the price being cheap :) But I was more concerned with everyone being able to afford one over making a lot of money.

My mother in law is giving me the most flack and she is selling the books to her friends for $15-20 each. I certainly hope she takes otu teh page how to order where it says the books are $12 :lol:

Hurrah! Received my cookbooks today -- very, very happy. Now I have to wrap them and get them to my friends/family. Only ordered a few to begin with, but I'll be coming back for more, I know. Will show them off and get others to buy them too...good idea, you guys!

Back to reading through the cookbook...

Ellen