Tough week

eppie

Dad's been having SOB and feeling weak. I just wish he'd eat. He says nothing taste good and he has an appetite but three bites into it he quits. He says he can't hardly move around. I Worried but just kowing I will see him on Sunday lifts my spirit. hAs anyone here taken lasix for pleural effusion? Does it help with shortness of breath?

Many hugs and kisses

eppie

Eppie,

I don't know anything about the lasix and SOB. But I did find these little personal hints on chemo taste and eating. Worth a try. Someone else also said, since you don't lose your sense of smell, the aroma of fresh cut lemons seems to stimulate the appetite and help reduce any nausea.

Hope the week gets better.

Leslie

How can a person drink all the water required when it tastes so bad? I certainly could not. I could not drink most fluids as they all seemed to taste so bad to me. I found myself just ignoring everyone and telling myself what they were asking was impossible. They were asking something of me which (in my mind) could not be done. This was bad because I began not to trust them and their instructions with regard to how I felt. As a result I was hospitalized for dehydration when I collapsed in my doctor's office towards the end of one of my later cycles. I nearly died. I totally trusted their decisions as to which chemicals and how often I would have them. I had not trusted them on this issue and it almost cost me my life.

After this episode and in the hospital bed, I mentioned to my sister in law that I felt the only way I could get enough fluid in me was through IV. She gave it some thought and came up with something for me to try. It was Kool Aid. The large pre-sweetened packages to which you just add water. She bought me several packages and when I got home I found I COULD DRINK IT with no gag reflex. Not only that, I could drink lots of it. I kept a pitcher near me and could monitor my fluids that way. It really worked. I believe that at least for me, it had a strong enough flavor to overcome the chemical flavor in my mouth that so readily made every other fluid intolerable. I cannot tell you why it does this. I can only tell you that it worked for me and often recommend it very early in chemotherapy to keep yourself hydrated. You need the water to flush the poison. If you don't get enough water, you do not flush enough poison and your body becomes too toxic and dehydrated. At least that is how I see it now in retrospect. All I knew at the time was that I could not drink water, no matter how often I was asked to do so.

FOOD. Chemotherapy affects the flavors of everything, so you must experiment with foods also. I told my wife to buy several things and throw away anything I did not like. Sometimes there would be something I loved one day and the next day it made me sick to look at. You cannot worry about waste during this time. It is all about whatever tastes good that day and whatever you might crave that day. Sometimes I would crave something, get it and hate it. It just happens.

There were some standbys that kept me alive. There was never a time that I could not eat WATERMELON. I don't know why, but its flavor always worked and it was juicy and moist and soft. There were days where this was all I could eat. Other melons did not work this way. Chocolates always seem to taste good as a treat. I discovered that popsicles were very good near the end of my experience. They had strong flavors and were moist. Somehow, their flavors were not corrupted and they felt good on my mouth.

Eppie.

I just recently was prescribed lasix for congestive heart failure. My main symptoms were shortness of breath.

Shortness of breath for me is also caused by pleural effusions, a chronic situation for me.

I checked with emedicine and the indication for lasix is if there is a known effusion "caused" by CHF.

Cindi o'h

Eppie,

Yep....several times for the Lasix. Is he receiving a Potassium supplement?

Re the eating problems. Try small bits of all kinds of foods to see what he can tolerate. I am not a fan of crackers, but I'm finding that I can eat small amounts of egg salad, tuna salad on saltine crackers. You need to know that before chemo I would not have eaten the crackers, nor the egg or tuna salad. Not a fan of any of those, but tried them out of desperation to find something that didn't tast horrible, and was surprized to learn that they tasted okay.

Thinking of you and hoping you are enjoying today's visit with your Dad.

I wantt to thank all for the excellent advice! He took our advice and he is slurping pedialyte and Koolaid, Gatorade and popscikles. (Sp)

I am wrapping gifts and getting luggage togther.

Going to Texas tomorrow.

Merry Christmas and a world of healing to everyone on this precious message board!

Eppie