Any Suggestions???

My dad keeps throwing up and can't hold anything down. He coughs while eating and his food comes up. He takes cough suppressant and a pill to help his appetite. He keeps losing weight and is slightly dehydrated. We have thought of shakes but dad can't drink anything cold. He tried Ensure and refuses to drink them. Mom is going to get Boost and try those. Does anyone know what we can try? He's getting sicker by the minute and Im trying to hold myself together. Im so afraid and worried for him. If I feel like this I can't imagine how he must feel. Please Help! He told me he's starving...I feel so terrible! I can't imagine being hungry and not being able to eat or drink. I don't want him to be hospitalized but I think it's going to happen soon if we can't get him to eat or drink. He tells us not to call his oncologist.

I don't have any magical words, but please don't let him get "too far gone." Going to the hospital always seems like such a set back, but maybe he can view it as a "tune-up." Mom got very dehydrated at one point and was in a lot of trouble. A few days in the hospital on fluids, etc., and she was OK. I'm just glad we didn't let it go too far.

Trust your instincts on this one. Good luck--let us know how he is doing.

:) Kelly

I agree with Ry, take him to the ER as soon as possible..My brother was doing the same thing and when he got to the hospital they fed him and hydrated him..You are better off taking him, because you don't want a set back due to lack of nutrition..

Prayers for you and your family..

Donna

I am sorry your dad is going through this. My dad was very dehydrated as well right after he did radiation. I would take your dad to the ER as well. My dad had a nurse come in a couple of times a week because he had an IV put in at home. That made him feel so much better. He also drank Ensure Plus. It doesn't have to be cold though. We made him drink it. It took a few months but he eventually started feeling better. I know it is scary. So take him the hospital so you can feel better.

Keep us updated. I will keep your dad in my prayers.

love,

jorja

You want to avoid dehydration, so, yes, take him to the ER. Try ice cream, flavored yogurt, warm shakes. Your dad must eat and take in liquids to prevent dehydration and wekaness, whether he feels like it or not. We found that a snack every two to three hours works better than three squares a day. It is easier on the patient, and helps minimize nausea. If your dad is weak and dehydrated, he can't fight the disease. Good luck. Don

Sorry for the roughh time your Dad is having. It is really dangerous to get dehydrated...an IV will probably make him feel much better. My Mom liked a shake called Scandishake...it has a lot more calories then boost and ensure and it tastes good(even I liked it)Hope you find something that works..Janet

You'll think I'm crazy, but we did Slim Fast. It doesn't have a diuretic in it, but it does have protein and calories (after all, it's designed to be a meal replacement). Our doctor OKd it as well... As my Aunt said, "It has to taste good for us chubby people to even consider it."

Also try mixing the boost or ensure in with some ice cream.

Sorry to be late on responding to this post. I hope you got your dad to the ER over the weekend. Please let us know how he's doing. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Beth I am sorry your dad isn't feeling well. I agree with everyone before me who suggested getting him to the ER. I know it can be hard. Even with all we've been through Keith still hates going to the hospital for anything and will put it off until it is absolutely critical. I can tell you from experience that it is better to go in before it becomes an unmanageable problem. The first time Keith experienced stomach pain, he ignored it thinking it was just side effects from chemo or whatever until it was an excrutiating pain and he could bearly unfurl from the fetal position. We went to the ER and found it was actually pancreatitis. They were able to treat it and get it under control but it meant 8 nights in the hospital on an IV diet no solid food no movement and he was miserable. About 6 months later he complained of stomach pain and I took him in immediately. It was the pancreas again but since we met it earlier rather than later they were able to get it in check in just 24 hours.

Dehydration is just like that. It is much easier to treat early, but if left go for too long it can lead to bigger much more dangerous issues to have to be fixed. I think your father would agree that it would be easier to go in for a quick check and fix than a long term stay.

I don't have too much advice of things for him to try to eat since what really pulled Keith through his nausea was ice cream. Maybe your father could drink the shakes once they've melted. I also remember when I've suffered from nausea for a condition I had I lived off of cream of wheat. It was warm, soothing, creaming and not much taste or odor to set me off.

I pray that your father gets helps soon and feels rejuvenated and strong again.

Everyone,

I truly want to thank all of you! I want to say Im so thankful for each and every thought,prayer,concern and information I've received from ya'll! Ya'll are so amazaing!

Im also going to give ya'll and update on how the weekend unfolded. First, let me say that my dad's doing much better. He is still having some difficulty eating and drinking but has been hydrated. He did refuse the E.R. trip, but we ended up finding Boost juice and he didn't mind it warm. He struggled all weekend and has been recovering yesterday and today. He's still a little weak and having trouble breathing. He's going to talk with the oncologist Friday about getting an oxygen tank. Of course his main concern is the coughing until he vomits. Im so happy he's able to keep warm liquids down and he's drinking on a regular basis, I know he's feeling a lot better. I'll keep everyone updated on what his oncologist says.

Thanks Guys!!!you have helped me help my dad!Im truly thankful :!::D

Hi, there.

Glad for the new report. Just wanted to add that early in my husband's treatment he refused the Boost and Ensure, etc. We were able to do the hydration at the doc's office (because he also didn't want to go to the ER.) Just a reminder that that's an option.

Melinda