Getting to know you February 19

lilyjohn

When my kids were growing up everything was either home made or home grown. We had cattle, pigs, chickens and rabits not to mention ducks and turkeys. We also had a very large garden.

I canned or froze vegetables and made my own pickles and jellies. I also cooked everyday. My specialtie was home made bread (my mom's recipe). Eating out was so rare that when it did happen I really enjoyed it. Now living alone I don't cook often and eating out doesn't hold the excitement it used to. I am still a very good cook (I've been told) but don't often get to cook for myself or anyone else.

I made all of my childrens clothes when they were little and my husbands shirts as well. When I wasn't in the garden or peeling shirmp or cooking and cleaning I passed the time either with crochet, making quilts or embroirdery. As the kids got older t shirts and jeans took over and the patterns and fabric got so expensive that I just about quit sewing altogether. I did make a few things for my grandchildren when they were small.

I still love to quilt and crochet but time and bad hands have made that something that I don't do as often as I would want to. I have a quilt that I have been trying to finish for 6 months and I can finally see the end in sight. Over the years I made about 30 quilts and crochet'd 6 bedspreads. I can't count the afghans and dolies that I made. Until 4 years ago I never put a pillow case on my bed that was not embroirdered.

I still prefer home made things but time and age have conspired to make those things nearly extinct in my life. I do love to get home made things from others still. They just seem to mean more.