Bugs

beckyg

I have a bug problem in my house. Mostly fleas, but also ants. I have been treating the cats with Frontline, but the flea problem never really goes away. In the past I have had great success with indoor foggers, but now I am very hesitant to use them. Anybody have any ideas about getting rid of my fleas without making it even more diffcult to breathe?

Becky

Becky , Several years ago we had our house treated with a powder that was'n toxic to animals or humans, we had a small puppy at the time and my wife was pregnant with our twin boys. AS far as the ants I treat the perimeter of our home on the outsside with an ant barrier and they don't come in the house and either does the pesticide. Have you had your lawn treated for fleas, I'm assuming your cat are indoor outdoor cats.

It was good to hear you were feeling better , I hope you are still on the mend.

Cathy,

I had a problem a number of years ago with my dog and two cats. I gave all of them burr hair cuts, right down to the skin, - - no where for the fleas to go. Washed all their bedding and the problem went away. For ants, can't help you. I did have them come by every year for one or two days in the house until I sprayed and they would be gone till the next year. Then one day I was outside washing the windows on a ladder and from the side of my eye I was seeing a long line of ants coming and going on a telephone wire. I watch where they were going into my house at, and patched the little hole, sprayed all around it inside and out and have not had them since.....If you can find their source of entry, you will have it made....easier said then done...... :roll:

Hello, Becky,

The same pesticide used on dogs and cats for flea and tick control, Fipronil, works well on ants if you can find a way to get it to the Queen(s), especially if what you have are those pesky Argentine Ants.

Some ants in a colony feed on sugars, and others feed on fats. The way I got rid of the ones around my house was to mix a small amount of Fipronil ( I used a few drops of Advantage Flea and Tick treatment for large dogs) with a small amount of honey and butter. This was spread on plastic, and put where the ants appeared to be gaining access to the house, but where my dog and children could not come in contact with it. It's very poisonous (Fipronil) and I didn't want anything taking it accept the ants. The workers and scouts fed on it, took it back to the colony, gave it to the Queen, and we haven't had any ants since. That was a few years ago. I got the info on how to do it from a Professor of Entimology in Australia. As far as the fleas go, I used Frontline on my dog and still had fleas in the house. I used Advantage on my dog, and after about 5 days no fleas anywhere..on the dog or in the house. You do have to be careful about petting the animals until Advantage works it's way into the animal's coat, though. And with your daughter being so young this might not be a good choice for your house.

Hope you have an end to it soon...

Fay A.

Hello, Becky,

The same pesticide used on dogs and cats for flea and tick control, Fipronil, works well on ants if you can find a way to get it to the Queen(s), especially if what you have are those pesky Argentine Ants.

Some ants in a colony feed on sugars, and others feed on fats. The way I got rid of the ones around my house was to mix a small amount of Fipronil ( I used a few drops of Advantage Flea and Tick treatment for large dogs) with a small amount of honey and butter. This was spread on plastic, and put where the ants appeared to be gaining access to the house, but where my dog and children could not come in contact with it. It's very poisonous (Fipronil) and I didn't want anything taking it accept the ants. The workers and scouts fed on it, took it back to the colony, gave it to the Queen, and we haven't had any ants since. That was a few years ago. I got the info on how to do it from a Professor of Entimology in Australia. As far as the fleas go, I used Frontline on my dog and still had fleas in the house. I used Advantage on my dog, and after about 5 days no fleas anywhere..on the dog or in the house. You do have to be careful about petting the animals until Advantage works it's way into the animal's coat, though. And with your daughter being so young this might not be a good choice for your house.

Fay A.

Hello, Becky,

Fay A.

Hi Becky---I have 4 cats and years ago had a temendous flea problem----I never used frontline---I use advantage and have not seen a flea in years---not sure if frontline is from vets or over the counter---

I get advantage from the vet and it is $44 for four capsules, luckily my cats are all about the same size so I use four per month---but well worth the money

Eileen

-

I TOTALLY understand your problem. I have 5 cats -all outside now. 1 little sweet cuddly precious PUG.( My 3rd daughter) :lol::lol: I had the bug guy come out several years ago and he did the yard AND the house, he said it would last 2-3 yrs usually. It has been 5 yrs and still no fleas. I do use the stuff monthly on my puggy and on the cats they are out all day then go the garage at night. GOOD LUCK

If the ants are sweet ants (attracted to sugar) the best thing I have found is called "Terro". It comes in a little bottle, looks like Karo syrup. You place drops of it on cardboard and put it where you've seen the ants, they take it back to the others and BOOM :!: dead. For some reason, this is hard to find but it will work.