My Father

emmaleah

I have observed the messages on this board several times, especially in times that i have been discouraged or down. I have read the messages and grieved for the writers, but have never chosen to post until today. My father, my hero, was diagnosed with advaced lung cancer in December of 2002. He began to receive chemotherapy and radiation in January of 2003. Over the next few months, i saw this strong man weakened by these treatments. I truly believe that he hated these treaments, but did what he could to survive this horrible disease for his wife, children and grandchildren. My father began to have difficulty breathing 2 weeks ago today. He was diagnosed with a respiratory infection and given various medications. Two days later we took him to the ER. At that time, he stopped breathing and was placed on a ventilator. Though this was not what he wanted, it all happened so fast. He was then diagnosed with pneumonia and was treated for this. We all hoped for the best. We had several good days, but many bad. During this time, we found out that the cancer had spread to both of his lungs and he was not responding to any of the treatments. We then made the decision as a family to begin witdrawing the supports, because we knew this is what he would have wanted. Much to the amazement of his doctor, his nurses and his family, my strong, stubborn amazing father, survived 2 and a half days, allowing time for all of us to come to terms with the fact that we were losing the most amazing man. This afternoon, surrounded by his wife, his six children, a daughter in law and 2 of his grandkids my father gave up his fight against his horrible disease. In the end, I was honored to be there for him, holding his hand as he left this life. I was honored to have this amazing man be part of my life for 31 years, and I was honored to have had this man as my father, my teacher, my hero and my friend

I know ho w you feel. My dad passed away nearly 3 weeks ago, it was a traumatic experience to see him get so sick. It was unfair that he had to endure this, but we cannot change that now. By the way, I also come from a big family. Dad had 7 kids. I think your dad would rather be in heaven than be here and suffer. I am sure he wanted to live, but not without a quality of life. Lung cancer can tear us apart, but in the end we win because we still have our loved ones memories and spirit which will continue forever. I hope you and your family are doing better.

ray

I am very sorry for your loss. All of you are brave.

Sometimes, I really don't know why human born and then die, sometimes, I will ask myself, this is really horrible for us, as children to lose our beloved parents, this is the toughest and the hardest and the first time in our life to accept such thing. I really cannot accept this happen in my life, I am 30 and in the past, almost nothing could make me feel sad like my dad getting LC. This is really unbearable. Sometimes, I ask GOD, why every people should face the same experience. How can they overcome this?!

I don't want to experience such thing, I just want my sky is blue, always blue. No rain.

Sorry for talking too much, deeply sorry for your loss :cry:

Emmaleah,

YOur post brought tears to my eyes. I was just a few years older then you when this same thing happen to both my mom and dad. It never gets easier, it just get tolerable. One never stops missing loved ones but life does go on and we go with it....

God Bless

Emmaleah,

I am in your world, a world of surrealness...we never really think we will lose them. I have been up all night preparing for my father-in-law's memorial service. He, too, was surrounded by family on his last days, and as hard as it is to see them go, I think they need us there. My husband was the one to urge his daddy to go to God as he couldn't bear to see him suffering any longer. Now heand his brothers have to be the strong ones. Bless my dear sweet husband who has been standing like a solid rock for his mother this last week and a half. The world of grieving and memorials is just so odd to be in...

My most sincere and loving prayers go out to you and your family as you begin this part of the journey. I pray the Lord gives you strength and energy when you need it most and can't find it on your own, and I pray that you find moments of solitude so that you can find time to grieve in the way you need to.

God bless you~

Karen M.