New Member-Dad has Extensive SCLC

thrashej

Hi,

My name is Janice and I am so glad to have found this site. I have read many of your stories and am so touched and amazed by the strength of you all. I am struggling in my own family battle and hope to get some help here.

About me....I am 29, a nursing student, married. My father was dx back in November 2005 with extensive SCLC with mets to brain (4 lesions), pancreas. He had one lung tumor in his pleural cavity. He had a couple rounds of chemo (carbo and Vp16)and whole brain radiation. Most the tumors shrunk but a NEW ONE appeared in the other lung despite chemo. So...he started two rounds of topotecan but ended up needing a blood trasplant due to anemia. He had a PET scan last week and will get the results tomorrow. I am very afraid.

He has fallen very depressed. In the beginning he was very hopeful but that has faded. He takes many pain meds and has even started in with some other "illegal" drugs. (he was a previous alcoholic/addict). He has no significant other and lives with my drug addict brother (yeah, NOT the best place, but it is what he wants). He is irritable and very sad most the time. He doesn't even want to talk much to anyone anymore. He turns his phone off so you can't leave a message. It is very, very sad. He says now he has a very constant pressure on his stomach and I think he truly feels now that he is dying (pancreas mets?) I guess the tumors can just keep growing and growing despite all the tx?? How sad.:(

My father is a special situation. He also is bi polar. He is so hard to deal with yet I feel so guilty for getting frustrated with him. I hope that if he is dying now it will be quick.....My family and I (sister and bro) are trying our best to deal but we all feel like we are falling apart. All I want to do is sit in my room and cry. Sometimes I will want to go for a hike in the fresh air to feel better but then I feel guilty for having too much fun, like I shouldn't be having fun when someone I love is dying.

Cancer is a horrible, horrible thing.....

Please introduce yourself to me. I would love to hear from others who have SCLC as well. I would like to know also if some of you had family members that died of this. What can I expect ahead of me??

Thank you all!!!

Janice

Janice,

I am so sorry for what you are going through. Tomorrow when you get the scan results you will know where things stand. Do you know if he is taking his bi-polar meds? If he's gone off his meds it may be the reason he's so frustrating. Please let us know what you find out tomorrow. Hang in there.

Rochelle

Hi Janice,

Welcome and glad you have found us.

I sympathise with you in what you are going through, you must feel so helpless and scared.

I pray the treatments works for him and he starts to feel better. This seems to be in G-ds hands now.

Just know that we are here for you 24/7 for support. If you have any questions please ask as there is very knowledgeable people here.

By the way Janice, there is nothing wrong in taking some time for yourself and NO reason that you should feel quilty. You need a break to help you cope.

I am really sorry for the situation your dad is in, I just wish he would have a better attitude as that would help him.

Keep us posted.

Maryanne

Hi Janice: I hope the PET scan shows some improvement. I think taking medication for the bipolar condition is a good idea. Going to your dad and supporting him at the space where he is now is all you can do. If he is happy staying with his son, that is the way it should be. I would not be too worried about the illegal stuff except for the obvious reasons, unless it is interfering with his treatment. You all are in a tough situation. You have my prayers.

Don M

Welcome Janice . Cancer makes all of us depressed at some time. Many of us have been on antidepressents. As your Dad is bipolar, he has a psych doctor already? Perhaps this mood change needs to be addressed with him, a change of meds may be needed. Keep us posted. Donna G

oh, honey. so much on your plate. I am glad you found us. did your dad have any kind of community as a former drug addict/alchy? AA or another program? maybe there's someone you can call from that community to talk to him, try to keep his spirits up.

I agree with Don, though, unless whatever he's using is interfering with treatment, now is probably not the time to ride him for it. who knows, maybe it'll help. I don't pretend to know/ just be there for him, and love him and make sure he knows he is loved.

keep us posted on that PET.

xoxo

bunny

Thank you all for taking the time to reply to me.

PET scan came back. Tx with Hycamtin (Topotecan) did not work. Tumors have grown and there are more. Topotecan was second line tx so I wonder what comes now...hospice??? My Dad has an appt Friday and I am going to go with him. They only told him so much over the phone. :cry:

Yes, he is bipolar and drug addict, but he does not take medicine. He has never controlled it. Always thought meds were a bunch of BS. That is why he is so nuts and so hard to deal with. My brother has the same prob but chooses to take drugs instead. Horrible. I wish they would take better care of themselves.

Well, if anyone has any stories to share about SCLC and it's course, I would be interested. I checked out the links in the personal stories thread but you cannot search which makes it pretty time consuming... :x

I look forward to visiting here. Thank you all for your support!!

Janice