Is This Sort of Thing Normal?

Linda661

Well, mom is back in the hospital for the next 3 or 4 days. Pneumonia in left lung (that's the "good" one) and needs 3 units of blood transfusion -- the nurse tells me that is "alot" of blood to need, but I can't really say myself. Some good news: there are no blood clots evident in the tests so far. They are also apparently looking around for signs of other infections that may be brewing.

Side-effects wise, mom appeared to be doing pretty well, all things considered. Her bloodwork was just fine at last Monday chemo labs (within normal range). She got tired, achy, and was having hot/cold flashes on Friday, but all vital signs were good until Sunday nite (O2 sats began dropping). She was admitted late Sunday nite/early Monday morning based on ER blood work that was just way out of whack.

What startles me is that what she began experiencing on Friday appeared to be what you might consider as expected side effects from chemo and anemia shots: nothing to "worry about", right? Just calmly navigate through the symptoms.....Now this....is this "normal" for this sort of thing? To me, there wasn't alot of "red flag" warning here before she ended up in the hospital again or I am just still too naive yet?

Thanks for your input,

Linda

complications can arise very quickly. pneumonia is never 'normal' but don't be hard on yourself - you're doing a great job of looking after her. check out my mom's history, it was sometimes a matter of days between her being fine, and be re-hospitalized with something serious.

hang in there, it's a rollar coaster ride, to say the least.

keep us posted on how she's doing.

xoxo

Pneumonia is somewhat common during treatment. When blood counts are low you catch any germ going around and they all seem to want to grow in the lungs. :D Have they said if they think your mom is losing blood internally? If she is having that much transfused, she may be bleeding somewhere. Good luck, I hope she feels better soon.

Linda,

Did your mom have chemo and radiation concurrently? I had Taxol/Carbo (low dose weekly) while getting radiation 5x's a week. Did very well, no problems. Off chemo 2 months, went to chemo Taxol/Carbo every 3 weeks for 4 cycles. During 3rd week, had transfusion (2 pints) and developed pneumonia(Sept.2003.) In hospital for 5 days. Took 2 months to completely get over pneumonia (not in hospitsl, at home.) Had last chemo Oct 2003. No chemo since... Not unusual to get pneumonia with Taxol, very strong chemo... Was also getting Procrit(red cell booster) and Neupagen (white cell booster) shots weekly. Your mom is strong and determined, she will prevail and get better...

Please keep us posted...

In my prayers,

Karen

Thanks all for providing input so quickly: it really helps to know these things.

The hospital told me yesterday that mom is not bleeding internally and no one reversed that on me today -- in fact, they are now talking discharge tomorrow after a chest x-ray tomorrow morning.

Mom was not getting chemo and radiation concurrently: concurrent treatment was to start next week. She had had only the chemo up to this point (7 taxol/carbo sessions).

How long does it take for a transfusion to make you feel better? They finished the transfusion late last nite and I was in with my mom today from 11:00am until about 1:30pm -- she reports still being mighty tired, still chilled somewhat, and still has some trouble catching her breath at times -- O2 sats are running 90-91%, but can still dip into the 80's on 6 liters of oxygen (she's just in bed and not moving around the room) and that is low from where she used to be on 6 liters (maybe it's the pneumonia, but I just expected more red blood cells floating around to help her be perkier somewhat) -- doing nothing but lying in bed, her sats used to be 98%+ on that much oxygen.

I'd also like to check out one other question with all of you, if I may, as I really need to understand chemo better and what to expect from it:

In your experience, how much tumour shrinkage have your oncs. indicated means "we are doing good with this" on a chemo regime? I am asking this so I can get a better/broader understanding of when to question the onc. on whether we should take a harder look at the regime we are on for its productive value in the treatment plan. My mom's onc. isn't saying anything either way so far (very frustrating).

Linda

Even a small amt. of tumor shrinkage is good. Means she is responding to treatment. I was getting scans every 4 weeks and had tumor shrinkage. Is her doctor considering surgery after chemo and radiation?

As far as feeling good after my transfusion, it was about 12 hours and I felt a lot better. Oxygen level will be low due to pneumonia, but as the transfusion and antibiotics kick in, she will start feeling better and have more energy. My O2 was about the same as your mom's, it was due to pneumonia. Radiation may or may not make her tired when she starts that. Her doc may want to wait till she is a little stronger. It takes a little time for the body to start healing itself. ask the doctor about vitamins and iron. I took them and also take Selineum. Ask the doctor first though. My onc. and primary said it was OK.

Hope this helps, in my prayers,

Hugs,

Karen

Well, now we are scheduled to potentially resume chemo and start radiation on March 27th and mom isn't even out of the hospital yet! They wanted me to schedule her to go to the cancer center at 1:30pm tomorrow since they "had an opening" and she might be discharged and I said no to that one (that seems a bit over the top to me given how she was when I saw her today) -- I don't even know when she will be discharged, if it even actually happens tomorrow.

I'll ask on the vitamins, iron, selenium issue -- some multivits and iron sound like a good preventative support system for her. Thanks so much for the tips -- it really helps negotiate through this!

Cutting this short as I just got notice that my computer is under attack attempts at the moment....

Linda

Ok, I am back to finish up my update after the computer "thing": no surgery is planned so far. Docs said that surgery wasn't an option for mom at the beginning and, so far, no mention has been made of it as an option after chemo/radiation....but, I have learned here....as I watch her progress, to ask about such things in the future (love this forum for that -- hope abounds big time here and I just love to be armed with options!).

One last note: to DonM -- so sorry I missed the opportunity for mom and me to meet you today at the hospital -- I wasn't online when you posted and I really goofed my known ability to get back to you after the fact!!!! Can't say how mom would have taken a visit (she knows I am here, but doesn't actually know or appreciate the benefits yet)....... please, reestablish contact privately -- I am so thankful to have someone "local" to contact in this...sooner or later in this process, mom will come to appreciate it too, I am sure... hope all went well with you at the center today.....hugs and more hugs......

Linda